|Developer(s)||Apache Software Foundation|
2.3.0 / February 28, 2019
|Written in||C++, Java|
|License||Apache License 2.0|
Apache Trafodion is an open-source Top-Level Project at the Apache Software Foundation. It was originally developed by the information technology division of Hewlett-Packard Company and HP Labs to provide the SQL query language on Apache HBase targeting big data transactional or operational workloads. The project was named after the Welsh word for transactions.
Trafodion is a relational database management system that runs on Apache Hadoop, providing support for transactional or operational workloads in a big data environment. The following is a list of key features:
- ANSI SQL language support
- JDBC and Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) connectivity for Linux and Windows clients
- Distributed ACID transaction protection across multiple statements, tables, and rows
- Compile-time and run-time optimizations for real-time operational workloads
- Support for large data sets using a parallel-aware query optimizer and a parallel data-flow execution engine
Transaction management features include:
- Begin, commit, and rollback work syntax, including SET TRANSACTION
- READ COMMITTED transactional isolation level
- Multiple SQL processes participating in the same transaction concurrently
- Recovery after region server, transaction manager, or node failure
- Support for region splits and balancing
A version of Trafodion was released on January 29, 2015.
Trafodion became an Apache Incubation Project in May 2015.
Trafodion graduated from the Apache Incubator to become a Top-Level Project at the Apache Software Foundation in January 2018.
- "Trafodion: Transactional SQL-on-HBase". June 9, 2014. Archived from the original on July 25, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Trafodion: First Release Features (Release 0.8.0)". May 29, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Introducing Trafodion - HP Enterprise Business Community". June 17, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Release of Trafodion 1.0.0". January 30, 2015. Archived from the original on February 24, 2015. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- "Apache Incubation Project List". Retrieved October 19, 2015.
- "The Apache Software Foundation Announces Apache Trafodion as a Top-Level Project". Retrieved February 13, 2018.