2.11.3 / May 7, 2018
|Operating system||macOS, Microsoft Windows, iOS|
|Type||Digital DJ Software, Vinyl emulation software|
Traktor was first released in 2000. The initial versions available were Traktor DJ and Traktor Studio, with Studio being the version with the most functionality.
Version 2 of the software (known as Traktor DJ Studio 2) was released in 2002. The new features included scratch macros and expanded looping, MIDI, and cue point functionality. Version 2.5, released in 2003, expanded the time stretching functionality, added Open Sound Control (OSC) support, and introduced GUI customization options.
In 2003 Native Instruments expanded Traktor from purely software. They partnered with Stanton Magnetics to develop Traktor Final Scratch: the software for Stanton's Final Scratch digital vinyl system (which used timecode-stamped vinyl records to control MP3s), whilst Stanton developed the hardware. This partnership also allowed Native Instruments to use the Final Scratch timecode functionality in their own Traktor products.
In 2005, Native Instruments added vinyl emulation features to version 2.6 of Traktor DJ Studio, alongside live input, internet broadcasting, support for more file formats, and expanded MIDI capabilities.
Version 3 of Traktor DJ Studio, announced in November 2005, added two more playback decks (for a total of four), built-in EQ & effects, Beatport online store integration, a four-channel mixer. It was re-branded to Traktor 3 on October 11, 2006, when the partnership between Native Instruments and Stanton Magnetics ended. At this point, Native Instruments began manufacturing their own DJ hardware components.
The subsequent software, Traktor Pro 2 was announced on February 10, 2011, and released on April 1, 2011. New features included multi-channel support and support for a larger number of concurrent loops.
Native Instruments announced in early 2018 that an entirely new version of Traktor (both hardware & software) had been under development. The new version, entitled Traktor Pro 3, was released on October 18, 2018.
Core functionality supported by Traktor includes the following:
- 4 virtual decks for audio playback
- Automatic beat detection and grid-alignment of tracks
- Automatic tempo synchronization of tracks, including phase alignment options
- Sampling and looping
- Effects (such as filter, flanger, and delay)
- Waveform displays for visual mixing
- Key detection for tracks
- A 4-channel mixer (one for each virtual deck) for controlling relative levels and frequencies (via multiple equalizer & filter models)
- Automatic gain control
- Real-time track management with incremental search
- Artwork browsing
- iOS and iTunes synchronization options
- Integrated recorder, supporting internal and external audio input
- Support for multiple MIDI controllers and mappings
- MIDI clock functionality to synchronize external hardware
- Support for Ableton Link, to synchronize across multiple devices
Variations of Traktor
Native Instruments also offers lower-priced version of the Traktor software, known as Traktor Duo. Duo features only 2 virtual decks (compared to the 4 available in the regular version), a single 3-band EQ for each channel, and six effects.
The company have also released Traktor Scratch Pro and Traktor Scratch Duo, which contain the same respective features as their standalone counterparts, along with additional Digital Vinyl System (DVS) functionality, allowing control for timecoded CDs & vinyl.
The entry-level version of the software is known as Traktor LE. It is sometimes bundled with third-party DJ controllers.
- "The Evolution of Traktor - DJ TechTools". DJ TechTools. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- Advisor, Resident. "Native Instruments: Blurring the lines". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Native Instruments releases TRAKTOR DJ Studio 2.6". EMusician. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Native Instruments ships Traktor DJ Studio 3". Macworld. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Native Instruments Ending FinalScratch DJ Relationship". Synthtopia. 2006-10-11. Retrieved 2015-05-08.
- synthhead (2008-10-17). "Native Instruments Announces Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro". Synthtopia. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Traktor Pro Tour - DJ TechTools". DJ TechTools. 2008-10-16. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Traktor Pro 2 - Officially Announced! (Exclusive Walk Through Video) - DJ TechTools". DJ TechTools. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Native Instruments promises new Traktor DJ hardware and software this year". FACT Magazine: Music News, New Music. 2018-04-25. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "Digital DJs Have New Ways to 'Spin' Their Tracks". WIRED. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- "Basic Overview of Kontrol S4 Layout With Traktor". DJ Techtools. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Traktor Sync and Beat Gridding". ask.audio. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Native Instruments Traktor Pro 2 review". MusicRadar. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Best Effects and EQ techniques for Smooth Transitions". Traktor Tips. 2014-09-17. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Traktor Key Detection: Just How Good Is It? - DJ TechTools". DJ TechTools. 2013-02-20. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Traktor Pro Preferences Guide - Troubleshooting + Setup Tips by Dubspot's DJ Endo | Dubspot". Dubspot Blog. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "How to Set the Channel Gain and Autogain in TRAKTOR PRO 2". Native Instruments. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "How to manage your TRAKTOR track library | Native Instruments Blog". Native Instruments Blog. 2018-02-20. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Native Instruments Announces Traktor Pro and Traktor Scratch Pro". EMusician. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "5 Steps To Taming Your iTunes Library For DJing With Traktor". Digital DJ Tips. 2014-01-13. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- Amsterdam, Rainer G. Haselier, Haselier IT Services. "Recording Mixes with an External Mixer". Traktor Bible. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "How to build a basic MIDI mapping in Traktor". DJ TechTools. 2015-02-26. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Sync External Hardware to Traktor - DJ TechTools". DJ TechTools. 2009-11-27. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Synchronising Traktor with Live using Ableton Link". The Red Dog Blog. 2016-11-29. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Native Instruments Traktor Duo 2 review". Expert Reviews. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "Your First Day With: Traktor Pro 2 - Digital DJ Tips". Digital DJ Tips. 2014-09-08. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Pro 1 Review". DJBooth. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "Traktor DJ For iPhone Review - Digital DJ Tips". Digital DJ Tips. Retrieved 2018-06-18.
- "Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S4 announced". MusicRadar. Retrieved 2018-06-19.