Trampled by Turtles
|Trampled by Turtles|
Trampled by Turtles Live 2014 in Munich
|Origin||Duluth, Minnesota, U.S.|
|Genres||Indie folk, Alternative country, Bluegrass|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, harmonica|
Trampled By Turtles is an American bluegrass/folk-rock band from Duluth, Minnesota. The band members have mentioned as inspirations Townes Van Zandt, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, The Rolling Stones, Nirvana, and Ralph Stanley. They have released eight full albums, three of which have reached US Billboard chart number one spots. Their fifth release, Palomino, maintained a position in the Top 10 on the bluegrass charts for 52 straight weeks. Their latest album, Wild Animals, was released on July 15, 2014. They have played internationally and at many popular music festivals in the US, and as of July 29, 2015, they have played live in every state except Hawaii.
- Dave Simonett – guitar, lead vocals, harmonica
- Tim Saxhaug – bass, backing vocals
- Dave Carroll – banjo, backing vocals
- Erik Berry – mandolin, backing vocals
- Ryan Young – fiddle, backing vocals
Simonett, Saxhaug, and Young also play in a side project called Dead Man Winter. Young fronts The Fiddle Heirs and continues to collaborate with Pert Near Sandstone; he contributed to their cover of The Beatles classic "I Am the Walrus".
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|US Grass||US||US Heat||US Indie||US Alt||US Folk||US Rock|
|Songs from a Ghost Town||
|Blue Sky and the Devil||
|Stars and Satellites||
|Live at First Avenue||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- "Are You Behind the Shining Star?" (2014)
|2010||"Wait So Long"||Justin Gustavision|
|"Where Is My Mind?"|
|"Walt Whitman"||Jim Fortier/Dave Willis|
|2013||"Midnight on the Interstate"||Stephanie Erlandson|
|2014||"Are You Behind the Shining Star?"||Philip Harder|
The band has performed at many national festivals including Coachella, Bonnaroo, Stagecoach, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Bumbershoot, and Pickathon. In 2011, they performed at several large folk music festivals such as Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Newport Folk Festival, Floydfest, Pilgrimage, and ROMP roots and branches. They played at San Francisco's Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, the Sasquatch Festival, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits Music Festival, Firefly Festival, Rock the Garden, All Good Music Festival and the Newport Folk Festival in 2012.
Trampled By Turtles made their national television debut April 24, 2012 on Late Show with David Letterman. They would return to the Late Show with David Letterman on July 16, 2014 to play songs off their Wild Animals album.
- Gokhman, Roman. "Trampled by Turtles". Bay Bridged. Bay Bridged. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Future Releases on Triple A (AAA) Radio Stations". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on June 21, 2014.
- "CMT : Videos : Trampled by Turtles : Are You Behind the Shining Star?". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 22, 2014.
- "Outside Lands 2012". Lineup.sfoutsidelands.com. Retrieved 2012-08-03.
- Saunders, Hilary. "Watch Trampled by Turtles on the Late Show with David Letterman". Paste. Paste. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- Lammers, Tim. "Trampled by Turtles returns to David Letterman's Late Show". BringMeTheNews. Retrieved 17 July 2014.