Trams in China
Several cities in China had tram systems during the 20th century; however, by the end of the century, only Dalian, Hong Kong and Changchun remained extant. However the 21st century has seen a resurgence in tram transport systems as China attempts to combat with urban traffic congestion and pollution.
List of historical tram systems
- Beijing had the first tram system in China. It opened in 1899 and connected Majiapu railway station to the south gate of the city.
- Fushun, Liaoning had a tram system circa 1902, operated by the Manchuria Railway Company with 26 trams.
- Tianjin city, had a tram system that opened in 1906. By 1933 it had 9 miles of track and operated 116 tramcars. It was closed by 1972.
- The Changchun tramway system started operations in 1942. By the 1950s the system covered 28 km (17 mi) with 98 cars. The system continues to operate today.
- In Shanghai there were three tram systems - two operated by the colonial powers of Britain and France and one by a Chinese company. The British system opened in 1908 and was the largest of the three. It had 7 lines and ran 216 tramcars. The French system opened the same year and its 3 lines ran 60 tramcars. The Chinese system opened in 1913 and operated 52 tramcars over 4 lines of some 23.5 km (14.6 mi) in length.
- In Shenyang, Liaoning, a Japanese owned electric tramway opened in 1925 and replaced an earlier horse-drawn tram system that dated from around 1907. By 1937 it had expanded to cover 12 km (7.5 mi) of track and ran 21 tramcars. It was finally closed in 1973.
- Harbin, Heilongjiang had a system from 1927 with 8 lines and about 40 trams. The system closed in 1987.
- The city of Anshan, Liaoning, had a single tram line from 1956 till the late 1990s and the track was dug up in 2006.
- Dalian, Liaoning opened its first tram line on September 25, 1909. It was operated by South Manchuria Railway. By 1945, the system had 11 lines. Today 2 lines remain in operation covering 23.4 km (14.5 mi). The system is in the process up being updated with a mixture of old tram cars and new modern low floor cars in operation.
New tram systems
In 2011, Shenyang city decided to construct a new tram network to complement its new metro network. The first three lines of the new system were opened on August 15, 2013. A year later, Nanjing opened the new Hexi trams just before the 2014 Youth Olympics. Since them new tram systems opened in a number of cities in China such as Qingdao, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Suzhou, Zhuhai, Wuhan, Huai'an and Beijing.
Hong Kong SAR
The Chinese Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong has had a tramway system since 1904. The Hong Kong Tramway is a traditional British Isles-style double-decker tramway with street running, along the north shore of Hong Kong Island. Since the 1990s, the MTR Light Rail system has opened in the north west New Territories. Despite its name, the famous Peak Tram is actually a funicular railway.
Light rail/Tram systems
- In operation.
- Under test run.
- Not opened.
|Line (not services)||System||Locale||Length||Stations||Opened|
|Xijiao line||Beijing Subway*||Beijing||08.8 km (5.5 mi)||6||2017-12-30|
|Line T1||Yizhuang New Town Modern Tram||Beijing||13.255 km (8.2 mi)||15||2020-??-??|
|54||Changchun Tram||Changchun||07.6 km (4.7 mi)||16 (10 shared)||1941-11-01|
|55||Changchun Tram||Changchun||09.6 km (6.0 mi)||19 (10 shared)||1941-11-01|
|Line 3||Changchun Subway*||Changchun||31.9 km (19.8 mi)||32||2002-10-30|
|Line 2||Chengdu Modern Tram||Chengdu||39.3 km (24.4 mi)||35||2018-12-26|
|201||Dalian Tram||Dalian||11.6 km (7.2 mi)||18||1946-04-01|
|202||Dalian Tram||Dalian||12.6 km (7.8 mi)||19||1946-04-01|
|Line T1||Delingha Modern Tram||Delingha||2020-??-??|
|Line T2||Delingha Modern Tram||Delingha||2020-??-??|
|Gaoming Tram (TGM1)||Foshan Tram||Foshan||6.57 km (4.08 mi)||10||2019-12-30|
|Haizhu line (THZ1)||Guangzhou Modern Tram||Guangzhou||07.7 km (4.8 mi)||11||2014-12-31|
|Huangpu Tram Line 1||Guangzhou Modern Tram||Guangzhou||2020-??-??|
|5XX, 6XX, 7XX||MTR||Hong Kong||36.2 km (22.5 mi)||68||1988-09-18|
|Hong Kong Tramways||Hong Kong Tramways||Hong Kong||30.0 km (18.6 mi)||120||1904-07-30|
|Line 1||Huai'an Modern Tram||Huai'an||20.0 km (12.4 mi)||23||2015-12-28|
|Hexi line||Nanjing Hexi Modern Tram||Nanjing||07.6 km (4.7 mi)||13||2014-08-01|
|Qilin line||Nanjing Qilin Modern Tram||Nanjing||08.9 km (5.5 mi)||13||2017-10-31|
|Chengyang line||Qingdao Modern Tram||Qingdao||08.7 km (5.4 mi)||12||2016-03-05|
|Line 1||Sanya Modern Tram||Sanya||4.5 km (2.8 mi)||6||2019-01-01|
|Line 1||Shanghai Zhangjiang Modern Tram||Shanghai||09.8 km (6.1 mi)||15||2010-01-01|
|Line T1||Shanghai Songjiang Modern Tram||Shanghai||2019-08-10|
|Line T2||Shanghai Songjiang Modern Tram||Shanghai||13.9 km (8.6 mi)||20||2018-12-26|
|Line 1||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||12.2 km (7.6 mi)||27 (17 shared)||2013-08-31|
|Line 2||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||14.8 km (9.2 mi)||18 (12 shared)||2013-08-31|
|Line 3||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||11.3 km (7.0 mi)||18 (5 shared)||2015-06-29|
|Line 4||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||2019-01-05|
|Line 5||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||21.4 km (13.3 mi)||25||2013-08-31|
|Line 6||Shenyang Hunnan Modern Tram||Shenyang||2019-01-05|
|Longhua line||Shenzhen Modern Tram||Shenzhen||11.7 km (7.3 mi)||20||2017-10-28|
|Line 1||Suzhou New District Modern Tram||Suzhou||25.7 km (16.0 mi)||15||2014-10-26|
|Line 2||Suzhou New District Modern Tram||Suzhou||18.6 km (11.6 mi)||13||2018-08-31|
|TEDA line||TEDA Modern Tram||Tianjin||07.8 km (4.8 mi)||14||2007-05-10|
|Line 1||Tianshui Tram||Tianshui||12.926 km (8.0 mi)||12||2020-02-??|
|Line T1||Wuhan Auto-city Modern Tram||Wuhan||16.8 km (10.4 mi)||22||2017-07-28|
|Line T1||Wuhan Optics Valley Modern Tram||Wuhan||12.5 km (7.8 mi)||17 (3 shared)||2018-04-01|
|Line T2||Wuhan Optics Valley Modern Tram||Wuhan||19.2 km (11.9 mi)||25 (3 shared)||2018-04-01|
|Line 1||Zhuhai Modern Tram||Zhuhai||08.9 km (5.5 mi)||14||2017-06-13|
- Line T1 of Yizhuang New Town Modern Tram (亦庄新城现代有轨电车T1线)
- Bishan Tram
- Nanhai New Transit (南海新交通), operational in 2020
- Huangpu Tram Line 1 (黄埔有轨电车1号线)
- Tram T1, T2
- Lijiang Tram Line 1
- Nanjing Jiangxinzhou Tram (南京江心洲有轨电车)
- Wuyi New Area Tourism Sightseeing Rail Transit (武夷新区旅游观光轨道交通). Also known as Wuyishan Light Rail (武夷山轻轨) or Nanping Tram (南平有轨电车), Line 1 and Line 2.
- Danxia Scenic Area Tram
- Guiyang Tram T2
- Haikou Tram (海口有轨电车)
- Tianjin (Xiqing Tram T2)
- Xi'an High-tech Zone Tram (西安高新区有轨电车)
- Zhuzhou Tram (株洲有轨电车)
- "China's Old Tram Systems - A Quick Round Up". China Rhyming. 25 February 2009. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- Crush, Peter. "Kaiping Railway -China's second "first" railway". Hong Kong Railway Society. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "Shenyang tramway opens". www.railwaygazette.com. Railway Gazette. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 19 September 2013.
- "公交集团加紧推进亦庄新城现代有轨电车T1线试运行筹备工作". 2019-11-25.
- "德令哈新能源现代有轨电车示范线 线路及场站工程全线通过验收". 2019-09-30.
- "定了！12月30日，高明有轨电车开通初期运营". Foshan Metro. 2019-12-29.
- "璧山再添利好："云巴"有轨电车动工！沿途设15个站点". 2019-02-23.
- "嘉兴市有轨电车、火车站枢纽及沪嘉城际铁路先行工程集中开工仪式成功举行". 2019-12-30.
- "贵阳市有轨电车示范线（T2线一期工程）项目 社会稳定风险分析公众参与信息公示". 2019-12-12.
- "天津市西青区低运量有轨电车T2线一期工程社会稳定风险分析信息公示". 2019-12-16.
- "西安高新区有轨电车试验线环境影响评价第一次公示". 2019-09-25.
- fujian, chinanews. 泉州这两条现代有轨电车今年6月要开工 路线公布 | 中国新闻网-福建. www.fj.chinanews.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- 财政部公布第四批PPP示范项目 这三个有轨电车项目入选…… | 自由微信 | FreeWeChat. freewechat.com. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- 有轨电车行业一周要闻. www.sohu.com. 2018-02-04. Retrieved 2018-05-06.