This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Localization management and crowdsourcing|
|Available in||English and 12 more|
|Created by||Dimitris Glezos|
|Alexa rank||21,101 (April 2014[update])|
Transifex is a proprietary, web-based translation platform; that is to say, it is a globalization management system (GMS). It targets technical projects with frequently updated content, such as software, documentation and websites and encourages the automation of the localization workflow by integrating with the tools used by developers.[further explanation needed]
Transifex is provided as software as a service (SaaS). It features paid plans, as well as a gratis (free of charge) plan for localizing open source software. Transifex itself was originally an open source project, but the development of an open source version of the software was discontinued in 2013. Hence, any further improvement of Transifex is only available to users of the proprietary Transifex SaaS.
The site provides a hosting platform for translation files and social networking functions such as feeds, discussion boards, translation suggestions and voting to allow translators to work collaboratively. Transifex is written using Django and Python by Transifex (previously known as Indifex) founder Dimitris Glezos under a Google Summer of Code project.
Transifex is used by Creative Commons, Coursera , Django and Django-cms, Dolibarr, Eventbrite, Fedora, Mercurial, Bitbucket, GlobaLeaks, TalentLMS , MeeGo, OpenStack, Pinterest, qBittorrent, reddit, Xfce, Wheelmap.org,VLC and others.
What started as a Google Summer of Code project to solve a Fedora Project problem has evolved into a complete movement backed by a new startup business, Transifex. The creator of Transifex, Dimitris Glezos, has worked since 2007 to evangelize the Transifex vision of localization and i18n tools. As of March 2014, the hosted site Transifex.com has over 17,000 project translations hosted across 150 languages, including reddit, Django and Creative Commons. It is also used directly by other projects, such as Xfce.
A project owner begins by creating a project in Transifex. He then creates a translation team or appoints maintainers to create the teams for him. The project owner or maintainer then uploads the translatable content to Transifex and the translation teams are ready to begin the translation process. Once the content is translated, the project owner can download it manually or pull it using the Transifex client.
Supported document formats
Android, Apple Resources, ASP, .desktop files, Gettext (PO/POT), Microsoft.NET, Code files (C, Java, PHP, Qt Linguist), Joomla INI files, Mozilla DTD, Plain text, PO/POT files, Subtitles, Web pages, XLIFF files, XML files, YAML,…
- Many supported files formats, including YAML, XHTML, XLIFF, PO and PLIST.
- Ability to download content, translate it offline and then upload it.
- Online Editor called Lotte for translating resources on the fly.
- Command Line Client that allows uploading, downloading and updating translation resources.
- Translation Memory that reduces the effort when having to translate something already translated somewhere else.
- Tools for monitoring activity and getting real time overviews of the status of a project.
- Messaging and notification system for keeping a translation team informed.
- API for integration with other platforms/services.
- Ability to create private projects.
- Ability to re-use the same translation teams when managing multiple projects and manage them from one master project.
- Term glossary that works with an upvote/downvote fashion.
- "Transifex.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "Transifex Help pages".
- Interview with Dimitris Glezos
- Developers | Django CMS Describes tools used by Django, including Transifex.
- Pinternationalization blog post by Dave Dash
- Reddit Announcement of the switch to Transifex.
- "Transifex Client documentation".