|Industry||Bus & ferry transportation|
|Clint Feuerherdt (CEO)|
Tower Transit London
Tower Transit Singapore
Transit Systems Sydney
Transit Systems is an Australian-based public transport company. It was founded in 1995 by Lance Francis, Graham Leishman and Neil Smith who together had operated Bayside Buslines in Brisbane, Peninsula Bus Lines on the New South Wales Central Coast and Sunliner Express on the east coast in the 1980s and early 1990s.
- 1 Current Australian operations
- 2 Overseas operations
- 3 Former operations
- 4 References
Current Australian operations
Transit Systems' business units in Australia are:
- Swan Transit bus operation in Perth
- Territory Transit bus operation in Darwin.
- Torrens Transit bus operation in Adelaide
- Transit Systems Sydney bus operation in Sydney
- Bridj on-demand services in Sydney
- Sita Buslines in Melbourne
Swan Transit is a bus operator in Western Australia. Founded in 1995, it was the first business unit of Transit Systems to be created. In its first four years, Swan Transit was awarded five bus contracts in Perth and they commenced operations between 1996 and 1998. Swan Transit later acquired other contracts in Perth as well, with all of its contracts operating under the Transperth brand. Swan Transit also commenced 10 year contracts to operate services in Bunbury and Busselton under the TransBunbury and TransBusselton brands in January 2015.
Territory Transit is a bus operator in Darwin. It constitutes part of the Darwinbus bus service. Territory Transit took over the Darwin Bus Service operation in October 2014, after Transit Systems successfully tendered the contract in July that year.
Torrens Transit is a bus operator in Adelaide. It first founded in 2000 when it commenced operating the Adelaide Metro East-West contract under contract to the Government of South Australia, which was renewed in July 2011. In April 2005, Torrens Transit commenced operating the North-South and Outer North East contracts, but these contracts later passed to Light-City Buses in October 2011. Due to continuous poor performance by Light-City Buses, eight of their routes were stripped off and were returned to Torrens Transit in April 2013. In June 2018, Torrens Transit acquired the Light-City Buses business and integrated it into the Torrens Transit brand.
Transit Systems Sydney
Transit Systems Sydney is a bus operator in south western Sydney, operating region 3 of the Sydney Metropolitan Bus System Contracts. It commenced operations in October 2013, taking over services from the incumbent operators. In July 2018, Transit Systems took over the operation of region 6 in the Inner West from State Transit on an eight-year contract.
Transit Systems acquired on-demand transport company Bridj in October 2017 following the cessation of its operations in the United States earlier that year. Bridj started operations in Sydney with the Wetherill Park demand service in December 2017, followed by the Inner West demand service in July 2018. In August 2018, it also took over the Eastern Suburbs demand service from Transdev's RIDE Plus, while the Wetherill Park service ceased operations.
Transit Systems' overseas business units are:
- Tower Transit bus operation in London, England
- Tower Transit Singapore bus operations in Singapore
Tower Transit Singapore
Tower Transit Singapore is a bus operator in Singapore, operating 26 routes out of Bulim Bus Depot as part of the Bulim Bus Package, with the contract awarded in May 2015. The company took over the bus operations from incumbent operators SBS Transit and SMRT Buses between May and June 2016.
- Bay Islands Transit (BITS) ferry operation in Brisbane
- Gladstone Ferries
- Stradbroke ferries operation in Brisbane
Bay Islands Transit (BITS)
Bay Islands Transit, also referred to as BITS, is one of Transit Systems' ferry operations in Moreton Bay, Brisbane. It operates services between Redland Bay and the Macleay, Lamb, Karragarra and Russell Islands in Southern Moreton Bay. BITS operated ferry services since 1982. In 2005, it was acquired by Transit Systems.
Gladstone Ferries is a passenger and vehicular ferry operation in Gladstone, Queensland, transporting workers to Curtis Island to support the construction of a liquefied natural gas plant on the island. The operation started in February 2011, following the award of two contracts for the ferry services.
Stradbroke Ferries is the other of Transit Systems' ferry operations in Moreton Bay. It was founded by Frank Dobias and Geoff Ford in 1963. Stradbroke Ferries was acquired by Transit Systems in 2011. Prior to this, Transit Systems also owned the Big Red Cat ferry operation, acquired in 2007. The Big Red Cat operation merged with the Stradbroke Ferries operation after the acquisition of the latter.
- About Us Transit Systems
- Swan Transit Overview Transit Systems
- Territory Transit Overview Transit Systems
- Torrens Transit Overview Transit Systems
- Transit Systems Sydney Transit Systems
- "Transit Systems Expands into Melbourne Bus Network". Transit Systems. Archived from the original on 29 April 2019. Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- History, 'Transit Systems', Retrieved 13 June 2015
- Provision of Bunbury Regional Town Bus Service Tenders WA 16 December 2014
- Provision of Busselton Regional Town Bus Service Tenders WA 16 December 2014
- Move to NT Bus News 7 July 2014
- Transit Systems welcomed to the Top End, Retrieved 2 October 2014
- Bus company Transfield stripped of eight routes and fined for being late Adelaide Advertiser 24 April 2013
- Bus company stripped of routes ABC News 25 April 2013
- SA operator forfeits routes due to poor performance Australasian Bus & Coach 26 April 2013
- "Torrens Transit acquires Light City Buses". Transit Systems. 4 June 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- Transit Systems Boosts Inner West Bus Services Minister for Transport 13 February 2018
- "Our Story". Bridj. Archived from the original on 6 July 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "With new owner, Bridj aims for a comeback in Australia". Boston Globe.
- "On Demand public transport services for the Inner West". Transport Info NSW. Archived from the original on 6 July 2018. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "On Demand public transport changes for Eastern Suburbs". Transport for NSW. Archived from the original on 6 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- "News". Bridj. Archived from the original on 6 August 2018. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- "Wetherill Park On Demand service". Transport for NSW. Archived from the original on 7 August 2018. Retrieved 7 August 2018.
- Transit Systems eyes Bridj shuttle expansion after Adelaide bus acquisition Australian Financial Review 9 May 2018
- Australian public transport innovator acquires first international fleet Archived 9 April 2013 at the Wayback Machine Transit Systems
- First Tranche of Bus Services in Bulim Package to Roll Out on 29 May Land Transport Authority 29 April 2016
- "Tower Transit announces First Group partial acquisition". Transit Systems. 9 April 2013. Archived from the original on 22 June 2013. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
- "LTA Awards First Tendered Bus Package to Tower Transit Group Limited". LTA Singapore. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "London-based Tower Transit wins first Government bus contract to run services in Jurong". Straits Times. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Completion of Acquisition of Transit Systems Marine, Sealink Travel Group, Retrieved 1 February 2016
- Bay Islands Transit Overview Archived 15 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine Transit Systems
- Gladstone Ferries Overview Archived 15 June 2015 at the Wayback Machine Transit Systems
- Stradbroke rivals in ferry good deal, Courier Mail, Retrieved 13 June 2015
- About Us, Stradbroke Ferries, Retrieved 13 June 2015
- Lee family completes sale of Whippet buses to Aussie firm Hunts Post 18 November 2014
- Tower Transit adds Go Whippet Coach & Bus Week 18 November 2014
- Whippet confirmed as part of Ascendal Group Coach & Bus Week issue 1364 16 October 2018 page 8
- "About Us". Whippet. Retrieved 13 December 2018.