This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Subsidiary of Essilor|
|Industry||Optical; Eyewear; Eyeglass|
|Chrystel Barranger - President of Photochromics; Paddy McDermott – President and Chief Innovation Officer|
Number of employees
|1,200 (2009) 1,500 (2017)|
Transitions Optical was founded in 1990. In 1991, Transitions Optical became the first company to commercialize and manufacture plastic photochromic lenses. From inception the company has been a joint venture between PPG Industries (51%) and Essilor (49%).. In April 2014, Essilor acquired the entire stake of PPG in Transitions.
These lenses, also called adaptive lenses, are clear indoors and at night and automatically darken outdoors as light conditions change. They blockUV rays and help to enhance contrast and reduce glare.  The firm also makes adaptive sun wear that go from dark to darker outdoors depending on the sun.
Throughout the 1990s, the firm established offices in Europe, Asia/Pacific, South America, Australia and Canada. It has more than 1,500 employees worldwide and offices throughout 15 countries.
From 2009 to 2012, Transitions Optical was the title sponsor of the Transitions Championship, a PGA Tour event held at Innisbrook Resort and Golf Club in Palm Harbor, Florida. The firm was the Official Eyewear of the PGA Tour, Champions Tour and Nationwide Tour. It also sponsors pro cycling Team Garmin-Cervelo.
- "Transitions Optical | Photochromic Glasses | Adaptive Lens Technology". En-us.transitions.com. 2014-12-16. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- "Business Magazine | BABM | Featurestory l Transitions Optical Changing Their Outlook by David Liller". BABM.com. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- "History of Our Eye Care Innovation | Transitions Optical". En-us.transitions.com. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- Gannon, Joyce (15 January 2013). "PPG, Essilor may make transition – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "Essilor finalizes the acquisition of Transitions Optical". Reuters.com. 2014-04-01. Retrieved 2015-03-17.
- Marie, Dee, Transitions Lenses Review, retrieved 2 November 2010
- "Boat and Gear Guide", Rapid Magazine, February 2009
- Cullinan, Bob (June 14, 2010), This Week's Freebie -- Garmin-Transitions Team Optics, Cycleto.com, retrieved 2015-03-17
- "Transitions Optical Sees Gold in Tournament Sponsorship", Tampa Bay Business Journal, March 9, 2009
- "No More Doom and Gloom for Innisbrook", Tampa Tribune, March 14, 2009
- "Transitions Optical Partners with PGA TOUR", Tampa Bay Business Journal, August 20, 2008
-  Archived January 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.