Translational science (also referred to as translational medicine) is defined by the European Society for Translational Medicine (EUSTM) as an interdisciplinary branch of the biomedical field supported by three main pillars: benchside, bedside and community.  The goal of TM is to combine disciplines, resources, expertise, and techniques within these pillars to promote enhancements in prevention, diagnosis, and therapies. Accordingly, TM is a highly interdisciplinary field, the primary goal of which is to coalesce assets of various natures within the individual pillars in order to improve the global healthcare system significantly.
Translation science is a multidisciplinary form of science that bridges the recalcitrant gaps that sometimes exist between fundamental science and applied science, necessitating something in between to translate knowledge into applications. The term is most often used in the health sciences and refers to the translation of bench science, conducted only in a lab, to bedside clinical practice or dissemination to population-based community interventions.
In U.S., the National Institutes of Health have implemented a major national initiative to leverage existing academic health center infrastructure through the Clinical and Translational Science Awards. The National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) was established on December 23, 2011.
The industry and academic interactions to promote translational science initiatives has been carried out by various global centres such as European Commission, Glaxo Smithkline and Novartis institute for Biomedical Research in European Union,  the University of California, Davis in the U.S.,  the translational research cells at National Institute of Virology, National Institute of Nutrition under Indian Council of Medical Research and Biotech Consortium India Limited in India. 
- Cohrs, Randall J.; Martin, Tyler; Ghahramani, Parviz; Bidaut, Luc; Higgins, Paul J.; Shahzad, Aamir. "Translational Medicine definition by the European Society for Translational Medicine". New Horizons in Translational Medicine 2 (3): 86–88. doi:10.1016/j.nhtm.2014.12.002.
-  Detailed explanation given in CTS: Clinical and Translational Science
- http://www.ctsaweb.org/ Clinical and Translational Science Award
- "Novartis". World Pharma News.
- UC Davis Health System, Clinical and Translational Science Center. "UC Davis Clinical and Translational Science Center: About Us".