Transmission (BitTorrent client)
A screenshot of Transmission 2.82 running under Ubuntu MATE
|Developer(s)||Jordan Lee (Daemon, Backend, GTK+ client), Mitchell Livingston (OS X client), previous developers include Eric Petit (project originator), Josh Elsasser (daemon, back-end, GTK+ client) and Bryan Varner (BeOS client).|
|Initial release||17 September 2005|
|Stable release||2.84 (1 July 2014[±])|
|Written in||C, Objective-C|
|Operating system||Unix-like (BSDs, Linux, OS X, Solaris), Windows|
|License||GNU GPL, MIT License|
Transmission is a BitTorrent client which features a simple interface on top of a cross-platform back-end. Transmission is free software licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL), with parts under the MIT License. There are multiple interfaces running under graphical and text-only environments, as well as a background daemon.
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2011)|
Transmission allows users to download files from the Internet and upload their own files or torrents. By grabbing items and adding them to the interface, users can create queues of files to be downloaded and uploaded. Within the file selection menus, users can customise their downloads down to components of individual files. Transmission also seeds—that is, it can re-upload downloaded content.
- Prioritization to select which torrents, and which files inside those torrents, to download first
- Magnet links support introduced in 1.80
- Selective downloading
- Optionally move torrents to a different folder when they finish downloading
- Encrypted peer connections
- Torrent file creation
- Peer exchange (compatible with Vuze and μTorrent)
- A built-in web server so that users can control Transmission remotely via the web (using RPC or WebUI)
- Automatic port mapping (using UPnP/NAT-PMP)
- Fast Resume — with peer caching
- Blocklists for bad peers, periodically updated with the same bluetack peer list used by PeerGuardian and PeerBlock
- Single listening port for all torrents
- Scheduled bandwidth limits
- Global and per-torrent bandwidth caps
- Sorting/filtering options
- HTTPS tracker support
- IPv6 support (partial) introduced in 1.50
- DHT (Mainline) support introduced in 1.70, IPv6 DHT implemented for 1.80
- Multiple line tracker list manipulation
- The usages of multiple trackers simultaneously
- Local Peer Discovery support introduced in 2.00
- µTP support introduced in 2.30
- UDP tracker support introduced in 2.30
- Torrent queuing support introduced in 2.40
OS X specific features include:
- Transfer management
- Downloading and seeding queues
- Auto-seeding options
- Dock and Growl notifications
- Quick Look technology built-in. (Only supported on OS X versions that include this feature.)
- Customizable toolbar
- Advanced progress box
- Automatic updates using Sparkle
- Universal Binary (up until version 2.22)
Transmission 1.60 and later removed support for Mac OS X v10.4. Currently, Transmission 1.54 is the last version that runs on Mac OS X 10.4. Although it is possible to compile later versions from source, either by downloading from the project's web site or using a package manager like Fink or MacPorts, it is unsupported and any bugs specific to 10.4 will not be fixed. Starting with Transmission 2.30 an Apple Mac with an Intel CPU is needed; PowerPC-based systems are no longer supported natively.
The Transmission back-end (libTransmission) also serves as the basis of the Transmission daemon. The daemon supports a web front-end called Clutch. Older versions have been ported to form the basis of the update system for the video game Metal Gear Online on PS3, as well as the backend for ImageShack's BitTorrent service.
- transmission and transmission-common: Transmission is a set of lightweight BitTorrent clients (in GUI, CLI and daemon form). All its incarnations feature a very simple, intuitive interface on top on an efficient, cross-platform back-end.
- transmission-gtk GTK+ interface
- transmission-qt Qt interface
- transmission-cli Command-line interface
- transmission-daemon: This package contains the transmission-daemon. For the associated transmission-remote, see the package transmission-cli.
- transmission-remote-cli is ncurses interface for the transmission-daemon
- python-transmissionrpc is a Python module implementing the JSON-RPC client protocol for transmission
An unofficial port of Transmission using a command-line interface (CLI) on iOS was accomplished on March 3, 2008. In November 2010, iTransmission, another unofficial port, was released for jailbroken iPhones sporting a GUI that is capable of downloading directly to the device over WiFi or 3G. A Transmission remote was released for Android, with the name of Transdroid but does not currently support downloading directly to devices.
On Windows, Transmission-Qt can be built with MinGW, the daemon and console tools can be built with Cygwin, also there are two third-party GUIs: Transmission Remote Dot Net and transmission-remote-gui, as well as unofficial full builds of Transmission's Qt Client., There is also an unofficial full build of Transmission daemon which can be run as a Windows service.
It is also ported to the Maemo OS of the Nokia N810 internet tablet and N900 smartphone as well as to the MeeGo/Harmattan OS of the Nokia N9 and N950 smartphones, on which it does download the torrents to the device.
Transmission is the default BitTorrent client of many Unix and Linux distributions, including Joli OS, Solaris, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Mint, Fedora, Puppy, CrunchBang, Zenwalk, and the GNOME flavor of openSUSE.
CNET editor Paul Huges praised Transmission for its "simplicity, lightweight, as well as being feature-packed" and the software is currently ranked second in P2P downloads for Mac on CNET.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Transmission (BitTorrent).|
- Changes – Transmission, trac.transmissionbittorrent.com, 2014-05-18, retrieved 2014-05-19
- Transmission-Qt for Windows | A Fast & Easy BitTorrent Client. Trqtw.sourceforge.net. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- COPYING in trunk – Transmission. Trac.transmissionbt.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- Transmission – About, www.transmissionbt.com, 2009, retrieved 4 July 2009
- Magnet links, extension for peers to send metadata files, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- IPv6 does not work against dual-stacked trackers, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- DHT implementation, Forum.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Changeset 9549, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Announce to multiple trackers at once, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Adding lists of trackers to torrents, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Local Peer Discovery protocol implementation, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Add uTP support, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- UDP tracker protocol support, Trac.transmissionbt.com, 2011-02-12, retrieved 2012-08-24
- #671 (torrent queuing) – Transmission. Trac.transmissionbt.com. Retrieved on 2013-12-09.
- "Transmission ChangeLog".
- [dead link]
- "Transmission-Qt Portable". PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB, portable and cloud drives.
- iTransmission, a native BitTorrent client on iOS, Code.google.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Building TransmissionQt in Windows, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Building, Trac.transmissionbt.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- A µTorrent like Windows remote control for the Transmission client, Code.google.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Cross platform remote GUI for the Transmission daemon, Code.google.com, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Transmission 1.76 Windows, Sb-innovation.de, retrieved 2012-08-24
- Transmission-Qt, Sourceforge.net, retrieved 2012-08-24
- transmission-daemon-cygwin, Sourceforge.net, retrieved 2014-01-27
- Solaris Transmission package description
- Pitt, Martin (2008-01-14), Ubuntu Changelog, retrieved 2008-05-15
- New default applications for GNOME
- Elyssa Release Notes
- Puppy Linux 4.2 Release Notes
- Release Notes - CrunchBang Linux 9.04.01
- Zenwalk Package List
- Make Transmission the default BitTorrent client in 11.2
- FON Starts Selling Fonera 2.0n Router with Transmission
- Transmission for Mac, Download.cnet.com, retrieved 2012-08-24