Transnistrian presidential election, 2006
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The 2006 presidential election in Transnistria was held on December 10 of that year. Incumbent President Igor Smirnov won despite opposition having stiffened during the final weeks of the campaign. Three candidates registered to run besides the incumbent Smirnov: Bender MP for the Renewal party Peter Tomaily, Pridnestrovie Communist Party candidate Nadezhda Bondarenko and journalist Andrey Safonov.
Andrey Safonov's candidacy was at first rejected on the basis of insufficient and allegedly fraudulent signatures, but on 30 November the Tiraspol law court accepted it.
Despite the court ruling, at the Electoral Commission meeting on 27 November Safonov's registration was not accepted with some members claiming that the court decision needed to be challenged at a higher instance. The Commission finally allowed the candidacy on 5 December.
Starting with 7 December, early voting was allowed for those persons for whom it was impossible to come to the polls on 10 December.
|Igor Smirnov||Aleksandr Korolyov||Respublika||212,384||82.4|
|Nadezhda Bondarenko||Anatoliy Bazhen||KPP and PKP||20,902||8.1|
|Andrey Safonov||Grigoriy Volov||independent||10,162||3.9|
|Peter Tomaily||Aleksandr Korshunov||independent, MP for Obnovleniye||5,480||2.1|
|None of the above||—||—||4,216||1.6|
|Sources: Regnum - Russian press agency|
Andrey Safonov, one of the opposition candidates, suggested that election results were rigged in favour of the incumbent leader. He claimed that there was a strange difference between the exit polls results and the official results and proceeded to challenge the election results in court.
- Back in the race: Tiraspol Court overrules Election Commission on Safonov candidacy Archived September 27, 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- Республика Молдова. "Infotag - Early voting begins in Transnistria". Infotag.md. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- Russian information Agency Novosti – "Update: Opposition hopeful challenges Transdnestr vote results", December 11, 2006
- CANDIDAT INDEPENDENT A ATACAT IN JUSTITIE REZULTATELE "ALEGERILOR PREZIDENTIALE" DIN TRANSNISTRIA (Romanian)
- BBC coverage
- Official news coverage (Russian)
- International Herald Tribune 10 December 2006
- No surprise: Smirnov wins re-election by wide margin in Transdniester
- British election observers' PMR Presidential Elections Report