Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Greg Kwedar|
|Edited by||Alan Canant|
|Distributed by||Samuel Goldwyn Films|
Transpecos is a 2016 American thriller film directed by Greg Kwedar, and written by Kwedar and Clint Bentley. The film stars Johnny Simmons, Gabriel Luna, and Clifton Collins, Jr. as border patrol agents who encounter a Mexican drug cartel. The film premiered at South by Southwest on March 13, 2016. The film was released on September 9, 2016, in a limited release and through video on demand by Samuel Goldwyn Films.
- Johnny Simmons as Benjamin Davis
- Gabriel Luna as Lance Flores
- Clifton Collins, Jr. as Lou Hobbs
- Will Brittain as Agent Hendricks
- Alma Martinez as Marisa
Transpecos received its world premiere at South by Southwest in Austin, Texas on March 13, 2016. Shortly after, Samuel Goldwyn Films acquired U.S distribution rights to the film, with a planned fall release.
The film was met with positive reviews from critics. John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter wrote: "Artfully made but wholly accessible for a mainstream audience, it features strong performances but no names in the cast who'll draw attention on their own." DeFore went on to single out the performance of Gabriel Luna, writing: "While all three performances are on target, the film belongs to Luna, as Flores scrambles to mislead the bosses he wants to alert until he and Davis can somehow fix this botched smuggling run." Kahron Spearman of The Austin Chronicle wrote: "With nail-biting precision, Kwedar has crafted Transpecos into a diamond."
- "SXSW 2016 Event Schedule – Transpecos". South by Southwest. March 17, 2016.
- Pederson, Erik (July 12, 2016). "Transpecos': SXSW Award Winner Unveils Release Date & Poster". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (February 2, 2016). "SXSW Unveils Lineup With James Caan, Ethan Hawke, Keegan-Michael Key Movies". Variety.
- Spencer, Jake (March 7, 2016). "Watch: Exclusive Clip from SXSW Premiere 'Transpecos' Leaves You in the Desert". Indiewire.
- Pederson, Erik (April 27, 2016). "Samuel Goldwyn Films Cuffs SXSW Border-Patrol Thriller 'Transpecos'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- DeFore, John (March 16, 2016). "'Transpecos': SXSW Review". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Spearman, Kahron (March 14, 2016). "SXSW Film Review: Transpecos". The Austin Chronicle.