Trash the dress
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"Trash the dress", also known as "fearless bridal" or "rock the frock", is a style of wedding photography that contrasts elegant clothing with an environment in which it is out of place. It is generally shot in the style of fashion or glamour photography. Such photography often takes place on a beach, but other locations include city streets, rooftops, garbage dumps, fields, and abandoned buildings. The woman often wears a ball gown, prom dress or wedding dress, and may effectively ruin the dress in the process by getting it wet, dirty, or, in extreme circumstances, tearing or destroying the garment.
Some sources claim that the trend was originally started in 2001 by Las Vegas wedding photographer John Michael Cooper, however, the idea of destroying a wedding dress has been used by the American film industry symbolically since at least October 1998 when Meg Cummings (played by Susan Ward) of the show Sunset Beach ran into the ocean in her wedding dress after her wedding was interrupted.
On 26 August 2012, during a photo shoot at the Ouareau River in Rawdon, Quebec, Canada, Maria Pantazopoulos, a 30-year-old Montreal bride drowned when the dress she was wearing dragged her downstream. The photographer, as well as others, tried to help but were unable to rescue her. Her body was later recovered by a scuba diver.
- Krista Stryker (April 15, 2008). "Trash the dress". The Columbian. Archived from the original on May 26, 2008. Retrieved May 14, 2008.
- Magder, Jason. "Maria Pantazopoulos, "a really fun girl," drowns in her wedding dress taking pictures in Rawdon" Montreal Gazette (December 21, 2012)
- "Canada bride dies at 'trash the dress' photoshoot". BBC News. August 26, 2012. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trash the dress.|
- WedPix Trash The Dress Article
- More about the Mass Trash The Dress in the Netherlands "Scheveningen/Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands" 09-09-'09/10-10-'10