Trausti Valsson (born 7 January 1946 in Reykjavík, Iceland) is a registered architect and urban planner and a professor of planning, at the University of Iceland Department of Environmental and Civil Engineering.
In 1972, he received a Dipl. Ing. Architect in the City Planning Line from the Technische Universität Berlin. He also holds a Ph.D. in Environmental Planning, obtained in 1987 at the University of California, Berkeley.
He has written extensively on the subject of urban planning, environmental planning and most recently on the effects of global warming, with about 100 published articles and twelve books, three of which are in English: City and Nature - An Integrated Whole, Planning in Iceland and How the World will Change - with Global Warming.
- Reykjavík - Vaxtarbroddur: Þróun höfuðborgar, 1986 (Planning History of Reykjavík)
- Hugmynd að fyrsta heildarskipulagi Íslands, 1987 (An Idea on the First Iceland-Plan)
- Framtíðarsýn: Ísland á 21. öld, 1991 (A Vision for Iceland in the 21st Century)
- Land sem auðlind - Um mótun byggdamynsturs, 1993 (Land as Resource, - On the Development of Settlement-Patterns)
- Við aldahvörf - Stada Íslands í breyttum heimi, 1995 (At the Turn of the Century - Iceland's Position in a Changing World) Co-author Albert Jónsson
- Ísland hið nýja (Iceland the New), 1997. Co-author Birgir Jónsson
- Borg og náttúra ... ekki andstæður, heldur samverkandi eining, 1999
- City and Nature - An Integrated Whole, 2000
- Vegakerfið og ferðamálin, 2000 (Roads and Tourism)
- Skipulag byggðar á Íslandi, 2002
- Planning in Iceland, 2003
- How the World will Change - with Global Warming, 2006
- Architect/ Planner, TU Berlin 1972
- PhD in Environmental Planning, UC Berkeley 1987
- Part-time position at University of Iceland 1988
- Tenured professor at University of Iceland since 2000
- Author of 12 books and about 100 articles
- Prefaces to the books written by ao: Oddsson PM of Iceland, Bjarnason Minister of Culture, Bjornsson Rector of Univ. of Iceland and Sir Peter Hall, Professor at UCL, London
- Both Channel 1 and Channel 2 (in Iceland) have made TV films on Valsson
- A nominee for the Nordic Environmental Prize in 2001
- Recipient of several grants and prizes
Honours and awards
- "Wilmersdorferstrasse". (Competition on the first pedestrian street in W-Berlin). 3rd prize, 1971
- "Playgrounds for the Reykjavík-Area". Competition. 1st prize, 1974
- "Playground-equipment for the Reykjavík-Area". Competition. 3rd prize, 1974
- "Living in Urban Areas". Competition. 1st prize, 1986.
- "The Future of the Videy-Island". Competition. With Kristinsson V. and Mogensen K. 1st bought entry, 1988
- "Restoration of the Fossvogur-Church". Competition. With Jónsson K., 1989
- "Samtídarmenn 2003". Vaka-Helgafell. Retrieved 2007-03-23.