|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Launched||February 1, 1987|
|Owned by||Scripps Networks Interactive|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
Downgraded to letterboxed 480i for SDTV feed
|Slogan||Travel Moves You.|
|Headquarters||Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States|
|Replaced||Home Theater Network|
|Available on most cable providers||Check local listings for channels|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
|PlayStation Vue||Internet Protocol television|
Travel Channel (originally The Travel Channel from 1987 to 1999) is an American basic cable and satellite television channel that is owned by Scripps Networks Interactive. The channel is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States.
It features documentaries, reality, and how-to shows related to travel and leisure around the United States and throughout the world. Programming has included shows on African animal safaris, tours of grand hotels and resorts, visits to significant cities and towns across the world, programming about various foods across the world, and programming about ghosts and the paranormal in notable buildings.
As of February 2015, Travel Channel is available to approximately 91.5 million pay television households (78.6% of households with television) in the United States.
The Travel Channel was launched on February 1, 1987; it was founded by Trans World Airlines, presumably to boost airline patronage. The channel's name was derived from the travel-related filler programming that aired between programs on the Home Theater Network. TWA purchased the name rights from Group W Satellite Communications in 1986, and took over HTN's transponder spot following the shutdown of the premium cable channel in January 1987. The network was later sold to Landmark Communications, then-owner of The Weather Channel, and eventually to Paxson Communications.
Discovery Communications acquired a 70% ownership stake in the channel in 1997, and subsequently acquired the remaining 30% interest from Paxson in 1999. In May 2007, Discovery Communications sold Travel Channel to Cox Enterprises subsidiary Cox Communications as part of a larger multibillion-dollar transaction. However, Discovery Communications still distributed the channel through its Discovery Networks unit.
On November 5, 2009, Scripps Networks Interactive acquired a 65% ownership interest in the network for $1.1 billion; the deal closed in January 2010. Scripps currently distributes the Travel Channel and rebroadcasts some of sister channel Food Network's programming on the network.
On March 22, 2012, Scripps Networks Interactive announced that it had agreed to pay £65 million (equivalent to US$102.7 million) to acquire Travel Channel International Limited, the UK-based distributor of the Travel Channel brand across the Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific markets. The deal was completed on May 1, 2012, following regulatory approval. The international channels were integrated with Scripps' Travel Channel.
In late 2015, Scripps announced that it will relocate the Travel Channel headquarters to Knoxville, Tennessee, in order to consolidate its networks in one place. Current employees are given the option to move to Knoxville, though some may relocate to New York.
On February 25, 2016, Scripps acquired the remaining 35% stake in Travel Channel from Cox Communications, giving it full control over the network. 
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- "Broadcasting Magazine" (PDF). October 27, 1986. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- Cox Cable Corporate Site - Cox Now Owns Travel Channel and TravelChannel.com
- Scripps Snaps Up Travel In Deal Valued At $1.1 Billion - Acquires 65% Interest In Service From Cox Multichannel News November 5, 2009
- "Scripps buys Travel Channel Int'l". C21Media. March 22, 2012.
- "Scripps Networks Interactive completes Travel Channel International acquisition". New York Times. May 1, 2012.
- WBIR.com. November 18, 2015 Channel to be headquartered in Knoxville http://www.wbir.com/story/money/2015/11/18/travel-channel-headquartered-knoxville/76003970/title=Travel Channel to be headquartered in Knoxville Check
|url=value (help). Retrieved November 18, 2015. Missing or empty
- Scripps Networks Takes Full Control of Travel Channel Variety February 25, 2016