National Express Midland Metro
T-69 tram at Trinity Way in February 2006
|Founded||30 May 1999|
|Ceased operation||October 2018|
|Service area||West Midlands|
|Fleet||21 Urbos 3|
|Website||National Express Midland Metro|
National Express Midland Metro operates the Midland Metro tram system between Birmingham and Wolverhampton in England. It is a fully owned subsidiary of National Express, who also owns the local bus company National Express West Midlands. The National Express Midland Metro brand name and logo are not carried on trams and on most publicity, just 'The Metro' branding with the exception of the latest printed timetable.
The Midland Metro was built and operated by the Altram consortium owned by Ansaldo, John Laing Group and National Express opening on 30 May 1999. In March 2006 National Express bought out its consortium partners. Midland Metro was specified and financed by the West Midlands Passenger Transport Executive. The operating company was previously named Travel Midland Metro in keeping with National Express' previous naming structure for subsidiary companies.
The original fleet consisted of 16 T-69 trams. These were replaced by 21 Urbos 3s in 2014/15. Originally trams carried a blue, white and red livery. This was replaced by a pink and silver livery in 2007.
- Midland Metro opened at last Railway Gazette International July 1999
- "Midland Metro opens officially" The Railway Magazine issue 1180 August 1999 page 10
- Anticipated acquisition by West Midlands Travel Limited of the joint venture shares of Laing Infrastructure Holdings Limited and Ansaldo Transporti Sistemi Ferrovari SpA in Altram LRT Limited Office of Fair Trading 5 April 2006
- Midland Metro Railway Techology
- TfWM to take over running of Midland Metro next year Rail Technology Magazine 22 March 2017
- TfWM to operate Midland Metro from October 2018 Global Mass Transit 23 March 2017
- Midland Metro to be run by new publicly-owned operating company Bus & Coach Professional 24 March 2017
- Midland Metro unveils first CAF tram Railway Gazette International 16 October 2013
- "Damaged Metro tram returns in pink" Rail Magazine issue 570 18 July 2007 page 63
Media related to Midland Metro at Wikimedia Commons