A travel survey (or travel diary or travel behavior inventory) is a survey of individual travel behavior. Most surveys collect information about an individual (socio-economic, demographic, etc.), their household (size, structure, relationships), and a diary of their journeys on a given day (their start and end location, start and end time, mode of travel, accompaniment and purpose of travel).
Major travel surveys are conducted in metropolitan areas typically once a decade. Some regions, notably metropolitan Seattle, Washington conduct a panel survey, which interviews the same people year after year, to see how their particular behavior evolves over time.
Recent or continuous city-wide travel surveys
Brisbane, Australia - The South East Queensland Travel Survey collects travel data in the Greater Brisbane region and the neighbouring areas of Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. The continuous survey commenced in 2003 and surveys around 6,000 households every two years.
Recent or continuous regional travel surveys
Greater Golden Horseshoe, Canada - the Transportation Tomorrow Survey (TTS) has been conducted every five years since 1986, surveying approximately 5% of households across the region. The 2016 TTS is one of the largest and most comprehensive travel surveys in North America, comprising a dataset of 162,708 surveys conducted online and by phone.
Recent or continuous country-wide travel surveys
Germany is conducting its National Travel Survey since 1994 on a yearly basis. Each household member fills in a travel diary in which he records each trip made during the course of one week. Despite this yearly survey there is another non regular scheduled survey which is conducted again in 2008. 25,000 households are expected to participate.
The Netherlands National Travel Survey surveyed around 34,500 households in 2003. The survey has been conducted yearly since 1985, but with some changes in methodology. Survey forms are mailed out, with follow-up motivational phone calls.
- Travel behavior
- Transportation planning
- Metropolitan Travel Survey Archive
- NREL https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/secure-transportation-data/
Notes and references
- Auckland Travel Survey Archived 2009-01-06 at the Wayback Machine
- Queensland Transport Archived 2008-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Tasmanian Dept of Transport Archived 2008-09-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Transport for London
- NSW Ministry of Transport Archived 2008-07-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Data Management Group - TTS Reports Archived 2019-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
- The German Mobility Panel Archived 2009-09-11 at the Wayback Machine
- travelsurveymethods.org Archived 2009-09-20 at the Wayback Machine
- Institute for Road Safety Research
- NZ Ministry of Transport
- UK Department for Transport Archived 2008-10-15 at the Wayback Machine
- National Household Travel Survey
- Dept of Transport, South Africa
- Sika Institute Archived 2008-11-12 at the Wayback Machine