|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|No. of offices||Two (London and Paris)|
|No. of lawyers||Approximately 220|
|Major practice areas||General practice|
|Key people||David Patient (Managing Partner)|
Chris Hale (Senior Partner)
|Revenue||£146.9 million (2017/18)|
|Profit per equity partner||£1.2 million (2017/18)|
|Date founded||1810 (London)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
Travers Smith LLP is a corporate law firm headquartered in London, United Kingdom. It advises national and multinational companies in the UK and internationally across the full range of corporate and commercial matters.
In 2017/18 Travers Smith achieved total revenues of £147 million and profits per equity partner of £1.2 million. It is regarded as forming part of the "Silver Circle" of leading UK law firms and is one of the oldest firms in the City of London, having been founded in 1810.
The firm was founded by Samuel Amory, who qualified in 1810. Samuel's daughter, Ann, married John Travers, a member of a well-known produce family in the City of London which was a long-standing client of the practice. Their grandson, Joseph Travers Smith, joined the firm in 1851 and became its senior partner. One of the firm’s partners drafted the constitution for the London Stock Exchange in 1801.
Historian Charles Sharman described Joseph Travers Smith as the solicitor to “the Westminster Bank and to numerous old families from Royalty downwards”. The firm was joined by Stephen Braithwaite in 1873, when the practice became known as Travers Smith Braithwaite, a name it retained until 2004 when it was shortened to Travers Smith.
Following the Second World War, the firm grew steadily through organic expansion. Since the 1990s the firm has not followed the strategy of mergers and overseas expansion adopted by most of its UK-based peers choosing to remain an independent firm.
Travers Smith was voted UK Law Firm of the Year in 2007 and 2012.
Main practice areas
Travers Smith's main practice areas include:
- Corporate recovery
- Investment funds
- Real estate
Notable alumni of the firm include:
- "Firm Directory: Travers Smith". The Lawyer. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers Smith unveils double-digit revenue growth as profitability soars 24%". Legal Business. 12 July 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Focus: The silver circle: The silver service". The Lawyer. 19 July 2010. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers Smith". Legal Week. 8 January 2007. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers Smith Drops Braithwaite In Rebrand". Legal Week. 18 November 2004. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers Smith launches in Germany". The Lawyer. 15 October 2001. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers quits Germany; Salans inherits team". The Lawyer. 10 January 2007. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Travers latest to make LLP switch". The Lawyer. 1 July 2008. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Travers takes top law firm prize at British Legal Awards 2012". Legal Week. 23 November 2012. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Practice Areas". Travers Smith LLP. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- "Travers Smith lawyer elected as MP for Loughborough - Travers Smith". traverssmith.com. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Travers reaps rewards of 3i links with deal windfall". Legal Week. Retrieved 17 July 2008.