Kelce in 2014
|No. 87 Kansas City Chiefs|
|Date of birth:||October 5, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Westlake, Ohio|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||260 lb (118 kg)|
|High school:||Cleveland Heights (OH)|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 3 / Pick: 63|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2016|
Travis Michael Kelce (//; born October 5, 1989) is an American football tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Chiefs in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft. He played college football at the University of Cincinnati.
Kelce attended Cleveland Heights High School in his hometown of Cleveland Heights, Ohio, where he was a three-sport athlete in football, basketball and baseball for the Cleveland Heights Tigers. In football, he was a three-year letterwinner as quarterback, and was recognized with All-Lake Erie League honors after totaling 2,539 yards of total offense as a senior. He collected 1,016 yards rushing, including 10 touchdowns and 1,523 passing yards on 103-of-198 attempts, with 21 scores and eight interceptions in 2007.
Considered a two-star recruit by Rivals.com, Kelce accepted a scholarship offer from the University of Cincinnati over offers from Akron, Eastern Michigan, and Miami of Ohio. He joined his brother, Jason Kelce, who was already the center for the Bearcats. After redshirting in 2008, he appeared in 11 games, playing at tight end and quarterback out of the Wildcat formation. He tallied eight rushes for 47 yards and two touchdowns along with one reception for three yards in 2009. The following season, he did not play due to a violation of team rules. After serving a one-year suspension, Kelce was back with the team to start the 2011 season. For the season, he saw action in games as a tight end and recorded 13 catches totaling 150 yards and two touchdowns. In his last season, he set personal career highs in receptions (45), receiving yards (722), yards per receptions (16.0), and receiving touchdowns (8), he also earned first-team all-conference honors. In March 2012, Kelce was named winner of the College Football Performance Awards Tight End of the Year.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5 in||256 lb||4.61 s||1.61 s||2.72 s||4.42 s||7.09 s||35 in||10 ft 4 in||22 reps|
|All values from Pro Day|
Kansas City Chiefs
He was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs in the third round (63rd pick overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. The Chiefs had hired Andy Reid as their new head coach during the off-season. Reid was familiar with Kelce after he had drafted and coached his brother, Jason Kelce, during his time with the Philadelphia Eagles. On June 6, 2013, the Chiefs signed him to a four-year, $3.12 million rookie contract that also included a signing bonus of $703,304. On October 12, Kelce was placed on injured reserve after only playing in one game during the season recording no stats.
On November 30, 2014, he was fined $11,025 for "unsportsmanlike conduct" during a 16-29 loss to the Denver Broncos. Kelce made an inappropriate hand gesture and simulated a jerking motion at the Broncos Von Miller. Chiefs coach Andy Reid later called this "immature". Kelce went on to become the Chiefs leading receiver during the 2014 season, totaling 862 yards off 67 receptions.
In 2015, Kelce started all 16 regular-season games and recorded 72 catches for 875 yards and five touchdowns, earning his way to his first Pro Bowl. He was ranked 91st on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016.
On January 29, 2016, Kelce signed a five-year, $46 million contract extension. He was ranked 91st on the NFL Top 100 Players of 2016. On November 6, Kelce was ejected from the game after receiving two "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties after arguing with two referees over not having a pass interference penalty called on Jaguars cornerback Prince Amukamara. Amukamara grabbed Kelce's facemask while trying to defend a potential touchdown in the end zone. Kelce argued with an official over the no-call and threw a towel in the direction of the referee as though he were flagging the ref after he was penalized the first time, leading to the second call and the ejection. On November 11, Kelce was fined $24,309 for his subsequent "unsportsmanlike conduct" penalties the previous game. On December 8, in a game against the Oakland Raiders, he recorded 101 receiving yards, which was his 4th consecutive game with over 100 receiving yards. He became the 3rd tight end in NFL history to achieve this, along with Jimmy Graham and former Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez. He was named to his second Pro Bowl on December 20, 2016 as a starter. He was also named First-team All-Pro. Kelce finished the season with career highs in yards (1,125) and receptions (85). His 1,125 receiving yards led the league among tight ends and his 85 receptions were second among tight ends behind Dennis Pitta for the Baltimore Ravens.
On January 29, 2016, E! Entertainment Television announced that Kelce would be starring in his own dating show, "Catching Kelce". The show will feature women from each state competing against each other. He ended up dating contestant Maya Benberry. But broke up shortly after.
- "Travis Kelce". rivals.com. Yahoo!.
- Justin Pawlowski (February 23, 2013). "NFL Draft: TE Travis Kelce's Character Concerns". CBS Tampa Bay. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- "2012 CFPA TIGHT END TROPHY". College Football Performance Awards. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Adam Teicher (April 26, 2013). "Chiefs draft TE Kelce, RB Davis in NFL Draft's third round". Kansas City Star. Archived from the original on April 30, 2013. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Joel Thorman (April 27, 2013). "Chief's draft picks 2013:5 things you need to know about Travis Kelce". arrowheadpride.com. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- "Sportrac.com: Travis Kelce contracts". sportrac.com. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- "Chiefs place tight end Travis Kelce on injured reserve". KansasCity.com.
- Adam Teicher (December 6, 2014). "Travis Kelce fined $11K for gesture". ESPN. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- "Kansas City Chiefs Stats - 2014". ESPN. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- NFL Top 100 Players of 2016 - No. 91 Travis Kelce
- "Kelce signs rich contract extension with Chiefs". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- No. 91 Travis Kelce
- Nick Shook (November 6, 2016). "Travis Kelce ejected from Chief's game after tirade". NFL.com. Retrieved November 6, 2016.
- Jeremy Bergman (November 11, 2016). "Travis Kelce fined 24K for Unsportsmanlike Conduct". NFL.com. Retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "Travis Kelce joins Tony Gonzalez in Chiefs' receiving record book". ESPN.com.
- "NFL announces 2017 Pro Bowl rosters". NFL.com. December 20, 2016.
- "Three rookies, Matt Ryan among players named to All-Pro team". NFL.com. January 6, 2017.
- "Reality is relative: Jason Kelce on screen in brother's new dating show". Philly.com.
- "Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce to have his own reality TV dating series". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-01-30.