||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
May 12, 1973 |
Chamberlain, South Dakota, United States
|Other names||The Serial Killer|
|Residence||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||75.0 in (191 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Fort Worth, Texas|
|Team||Team Lutter |
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Lutter was born and raised in South Dakota. He began wrestling when he was 12 years old, continuing through high school where he earned All-State honors and then also competed during his first two years attending Northern State University, where he majored in criminal justice. Lutter had originally begun training in Muay Thai, before viewing an early UFC event dominated by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu specialist, Royce Gracie. Lutter then moved to Dallas, Texas and began training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
Mixed martial arts career
The Ultimate Fighter
With this victory, Lutter became the challenger for Anderson Silva's Middleweight title. Lutter dedicated his victory on November 11 to the Wounded Warrior Project, an organization dedicated to support wounded U.S. servicemen.
On the day of the weigh-in, one day before the February 3, 2007 bout at UFC 67, Lutter failed to make weight. He weighed-in at 187 pounds on the first attempt, and 186.5 two hours later on his second attempt. Because of his failure to meet the required 185 pounds, his match with Silva was changed to a three-round, non-title bout. This upset many fans, and he was booed upon his entrance into the octagon. Lutter would go on to lose in the second round via submission due to a triangle choke.
Lutter was scheduled to return to the UFC at UFC 74 on August 25, 2007 against UFC newcomer Ryan Jensen; however he was forced to withdraw from the event due to a neck injury. After over a year's absence from the UFC, Lutter was next matched against former UFC Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin at UFC 83. After nearly catching Franklin with an armbar in the first round, Lutter was defeated by Franklin in the second round by TKO.
After losing two consecutive bouts, Lutter was released from his UFC contract. This makes him the first Ultimate Fighter winner to be released from UFC contract. He defeated Jason "The Athlete" MacDonald in the main event of Maximum Fighting Championship 22 on October 2, 2009.
Lutter's next bout occurred on May 21, 2010, against Rafael Natal. This bout was part of the Moosin: God of Martial Arts show in Worcester, Massachusetts. After 2 take down attempts Lutter was noticeably tired, he lost by knockout in the first round.
Championships and accomplishments
- HnS Light Heavyweight Championship (One time)
- Winner Ultimate Submission Challenge 2003
- Competitor 2001 ADCC World Championships
- Competitor 2000 ADCC World Championships
- Winner 2001 National USA ADCC Qualifier
- Winner 2000 National USA ADCC Qualifier
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt under Carlos Machado
- 1st place 2001 Texas State BJJ Champion
- 3rd place Heavyweight Purple Belt, 2000 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 3rd place Purple Belt Heavyweight, 2000 Pan-American Games
- 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1999 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
- 1st place Heavyweight and Overall Champion 1998 Texas Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
- 2nd place 1998 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1998 USA Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships
- 1st place Heavyweight Champion 1997 San Antonio Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Open
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||10 wins||6 losses|
|Loss||10–6||Rafael Natal||KO (punches)||Moosin: God of Martial Arts||May 21, 2010||1||4:12||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
|Win||10–5||Jason MacDonald||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 22||October 2, 2009||3||5:00||Enoch, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||9–5||Rich Franklin||TKO (punches)||UFC 83||April 19, 2008||2||3:01||Montreal, Canada|
|Loss||9–4||Anderson Silva||Submission (triangle choke with elbows)||UFC 67||February 3, 2007||2||2:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Originally a title fight, but Lutter failed to make weight and was changed to a non-title match|
|Win||9–3||Patrick Côté||Submission (armbar)||The Ultimate Fighter: The Comeback Finale||November 11, 2006||1||2:18||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won The Ultimate Fighter 4 Middleweight; Submission of the Night.|
|Win||8–3||Cedric Marks||Submission (armbar)||IFF 1: International Freestyle Fighting 1||May 6, 2006||1||1:15||Ft. Worth, Texas, United States|
|Win||7–3||Jose Landi-Jons||Submission (armbar)||Cage Rage 15||February 4, 2006||1||4:00||London, England|
|Loss||6–3||Trevor Prangley||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 54: Boiling Point||August 20, 2005||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–2||Matt Ewin||Submission (keylock)||Cage Rage 12||July 2, 2005||1||1:40||London, England|
|Loss||5–2||Matt Lindland||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 52: Couture vs Liddell||April 16, 2005||2||3:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–1||Marvin Eastman||KO (punch)||UFC 50||October 22, 2004||2||0:33||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–1||Grzegorz Jakubowski||Submission (kimura)||EVT 2: Hazard||April 4, 2004||2||2:45||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||3–1||Mark Epstein||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EVT 1: Genesis||December 6, 2003||2||2:45||Copenhagen, Denmark|
|Loss||2–1||Jorge Rivera||TKO (strikes)||USMMA 2: Ring of Fury||September 21, 2002||3||3:46||Lowell, Massachusetts, United States||Lost HnS Light Heavyweight Championship|
|Win||2–0||Chris Munsen||Submission (rear naked choke)||HOOKnSHOOT: Relentless||May 25, 2002||1||0:45||Evansville, Indiana, United States||Won HnS Light Heavyweight Championship|
|Win||1–0||James Cooper||Decision||PRW: Power Ring Warriors||November 7, 1998||N/A||N/A||Humble, Texas, United States|
- "Travis Lutter Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Mixed Martial Arts and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Classes". Travislutter.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- "Travis Lutter start training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu". Teamlutternews.com. 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
-  Archived December 12, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070926225818/http://www.ufcdaily.com/2007/06/27/lutter-to-return-at-ufc-74-against-jensen/. Archived from the original on September 26, 2007. Retrieved May 23, 2007. Missing or empty
- "Nokaut.pl - porównaj zanim kupisz - tanie zakupy, opinie i recenzje". Nokaut.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
- Meltzer, Dave (2009-12-04). "Ranking 'The Ultimate Fighter' champions - Mixed Martial Arts". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2015-03-27.
-  Archived July 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100526145413/http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Rough-night-for-UFC-vets-Lutter-and-Edwards-at-M?urn=mma,242986. Archived from the original on May 26, 2010. Retrieved May 22, 2010. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120806221053/http://travislutter.com/contact-and-location/. Archived from the original on August 6, 2012. Retrieved November 24, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Fcf Staffers On Howard Sternthis Thursday | Full Contact Fighter". Fcfighter.com. 2002-05-13. Retrieved 2015-03-27.