|Also known as||Hard Hitters|
|Origin||Decatur, Georgia, United States|
|Years active||2008 – Present|
|Labels||Porter House Music Group, Street Execs|
|Associated acts||Tyga, Waka Flocka Flame Bankroll Fresh|
Quez (Black Doe)
Strap Da Fool
Travis Porter is an American hip hop group from Decatur, Georgia. Ali and Quez are step brothers; the two met Strap while attending the same middle school. The three grew up together and in 2006 began exploring music. The group's biggest hits are "Aww Yea", "Go Shorty Go", "Bananas", "Ayy Ladies", "Bring It Back" and "Make It Rain" produced by F-K-I. Travis Porter released a biographical film titled Proud to be a Problem on May 18, 2010. Travis Porter has a YouTube channel with over 130 million views and a Twitter page. In November 2010 the trio signed with Jive Records.
Travis Porter consists of Lakeem "Ali" Grant, Donquez "Quez" Woods and Harold "Strap" Duncan. During the early years, they started out as a group, called The Hard Hitters, and then later changed the name of the group as, called Travis Porter, to make it more re-marketable. Following the name change, they have been performing all across the United States, before they began performing internationally. In 2008, the trio played in between the cities, states, and even countries; including Kaiserslautern, Bamberg and Germany. Travis Porter earned the major of popularity through the releases of their mixtapes, showing performances, while blowing up these social medias with these four biggest underground hits; including "Black Boy, White Boy", "Uh Huh", "Go Shorty Go", and "All the Way Turnt Up". During the summer of 2010, the group appeared in one of Atlanta's biggest concerts, which is Birthday Bash and on the The Mo'Nique Show. They even performed with Canada’s own Drake at BMI’s Unsigned Artist showcase in Atlanta. Even though they were being unsigned, they still were working with most notable signed artists, such as Roscoe Dash, Fast Life Yungstaz and Waka Flocka Flame. Travis Porter was also featured on MTV Jams Feb 5. The group also received Myspace’s #1 unsigned group title. In 2010, the group's non-album single, "Go Shorty Go" would be entering on the Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop chart. They also has recently joined with the Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI).[when?] The trio was honored at the 2010s Underground Music Awards in New York City, with other well-known underground artists, such as J. Cole; along with getting nominated for the “Most Dynamic Rap Group Duo”. Gucci Mane reportedly announced the interest in signing the group Travis Porter to 1017 Brick Squad Records, saying "Just give me 12-15 songs. I don't know about that other stuff. Handle your business". But the group would eventually end up signing a record deal to Jive Records.
2010-2012: From Day 1
On December 22, 2010, the trio released their debut single, "Make it Rain"; peeking at number 50 on the Urban radio charts and debuted on the charts at number 97, then climbed to number 46. On October 7, 2011, RCA Music Group announced the disbandment of Jive Records, along with Arista Records and J Records. With the shutdown, the group (and all other artists previously signed to these three labels) announced that they would have to released their future materials to RCA Records. On February 7, 2011, Travis Porter released their second single, titled "Bring It Back".
In 2012, the trio released their third single, "Ayy Ladies"; a collaboration with Young Money rapper Tyga. The single peaked at number 56 on the Billboard Hot 100, and has topped the Top Heatseekers Songs charts, becoming Porter's most successful song to date. The group's debut album, From Day 1 was released on May 29, 2012, under the RCA Records and their launched Porter House Music record label. From Day 1 would be charted at number 16 on the US Billboard 200 and number 2 on the Top Rap Albums charts.
On April 15, 2015, Travis Porter released their thirteenth mixtape, titled 3 Live Krew; which has its mixtape cover based on 2 Live Crew's critically acclaimed album As Nasty As They Wanna Be. On August 21, 2015, Travis Porter released their fourteenth mixtape, titled S.A.Q..
This track "All the Way Turnt Up" has caused controversy with Roscoe Dash. After Dash stated that he came up with the song; including the hook and the lyrics and even asked the group Travis Porter to appear on this song. Travis Porter then added this song to their mixtape, which was causing fans to believe that this was not Roscoe Dash’s song, but Travis Porter's. Roscoe Dash then released the inverted version to the song through his label Interscope Records, adding a verse by a fellow rapper Soulja Boy.
Young Dro and Yung L.A.
- Studio albums
- From Day 1 (2012)
- TBA (2017)
|2012||Red Rock||As Themselves||Co-Directed & Co-Produced|
- Metcalf, S. (2010, March 02). "Rap group Travis Porter finally answers the popular question, 'Who is Travis Porter?'". Retrieved from http://www.theriteher.com/2010/03/rap-group-travis-porter-finally-answers-the-popular-question-who-is-travis-porter-2/
- Lujano, J. (Artist). (2010). The Travis porter movie. [Web]. Retrieved from http://wearetravisporter.com/about-2/
- Boyd, M. (2010, May 03). Bringing you up to speed: Travis Porter. Retrieved from http://hiphopatlunch.com/2010/05/bringing-you-up-to-speed-travis-porter/
- Marschhauser, Brian (2010, November 30). Travis Porter Talks to benzino About Jive Deal. http://www.thesource.com/articles/32482/Travis-Porter-Talks-to-The-Source-About-Jive-Deal
- Travis Porter - City Hall in Denver - Denver Post
- Travis Porter | Topics | BET
- Metcalf, S. (2010, March 02). Rap group travis porter finally answers the popular question, “who is travis porter?”. Retrieved from http://www.theriteher.com/2010/03/rap-group-travis-porter-finally-answers-the-popular-question-who-is-travis-porter-2/
- Lujano, J. (2010, November 22). "Upcoming Tour Dates, Travis Porter". Retrieved from http://blog.wearetravisporter.com/?p=419
- Porter House Music Group. (2010). Events. Retrieved from http://blog.wearetravisporter.com/?page_id=156
- McBee, J. (Photographer). (2010). Their Exclusive video: travis porter on how they got to birthday bash 15. They also started their own record label Porter House Music Group. [Web]. Retrieved from http://hotspotatl.com/videos/jazzy/exclusive-video-travis-porter-rock-their-hometown/
- King, V. (Photographer). (2010). travis porter live on Mo’nique perform go shorty go. [Web]. Retrieved from http://keepittrill.com/videos/2010/03/travis-porter-live-monique-perform-shorty/
- "Drake & Travis Porter Headline BMI Unsigned Urban Showcase in Atlanta". broadwayworld.com. April 21, 2010.
- Banks, Rico. (2009, December 01). Travis porter & waka flocka flame – streets r us– dj teknikz. Retrieved from http://www.wordofsouth.com/2009/12/01/travis-porter-waka-flocka-flame-dj-teknikz-%E2%80%93-streets-r-us/
- Says, T. (2010, July 05). Watch Travis Porter on MTV Jams.
- Boyd, M. (2010, May 03). Bringing you up to speed: travis porter
- . (2010, November 17). Travis Porter, “The Basics”. Retrieved from http://www.billboard.com/artist/430388/travis+porter/chart
- Horowitz, S.J. (2010, August 24). J. cole, tiye phoenix win at underground music awards
- (2010). Gucci Mane Wants To Sign Travis Porter To Bricksquad. [Web]. Retrieved from http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhYRdMv5Cb4Wl9UL39.
- "RCA's New Executive Team Named Under CEO Peter Edge Amid Layoffs (Update)". Billboard.biz. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Radio Industry News, Music Industry Updates, Arbitron Ratings, Music News and more!". FMQB. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- "Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
- Ryon, Sean (March 22, 2012). "Travis Porter Announce Release Date And Title Of Debut LP". HipHopDX. Cheri Media Group. Retrieved March 23, 2012.
- Reid, S. (2010, November 22). Unsigned Atlanta trio say new mixtape is 'giving most signed artists problems,' in Mixtape Daily
- Williford, Fredrickus. "Travvvy! Travis Porter From ATL to the World." Ezine Articles 06 Mar 2010: n. pag. Web. 07 Sep 2010.