|Systematic (IUPAC) name|
|Trade names||Travatan, Travoprostin is the brand name which is available in preservative free form in India by Eyekare Kilitch Ltd.|
|Topical (eye drops)|
|Molar mass||500.548 g/mol|
|(what is this?)|
Travoprost ophthalmic solution is a topical medication used for controlling the progression of glaucoma or ocular hypertension, by reducing intraocular pressure. It is a synthetic prostaglandin analog (or more specifically, an analog of prostaglandin F2α) that works by increasing the outflow of aqueous fluid from the eyes. It is also known by the brand names of Travatan and Travatan Z, manufactured by Alcon, and Travo-Z, manufactured by Micro Labs.
Possible side effects of this medication are:
- May cause blurred vision
- May cause eyelid redness
- May permanently darken eyelashes
- May cause eye discomfort
- May eventually cause permanent darkening of the iris to brown (heterochromia)
- May cause a temporary burning sensation during use
- May cause thickening of the eyelashes
- May cause inflammation of the prostate gland, restricting urine flow (BPH)
- Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (September 2011). "TRAVATAN - travoprost solution". DailyMed. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (September 2011). "TRAVATAN Z (travoprost) solution". DailyMed. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- AHFS Consumer Medication Information (2011-01-01). "Travoprost Ophthalmic". MedlinePlus. Bethesda, MD: U.S. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved 2011-09-30.