Treasury Select Committee
This article needs to be updated.January 2020)(
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The House of Commons Treasury Committee (often referred to as the Treasury Select Committee) is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The remit of the committee is to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of HM Treasury, with all of its agencies and associated bodies, including HM Revenue and Customs, the Bank of England, the Prudential Regulation Authority, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Royal Mint, and so on.
Since 2010 the Treasury Committee has taken on new powers, including the right to veto appointments to the independent Office for Budget Responsibility, and has forced the Financial Services Authority to publish a detailed report into its handling of the collapse of Royal Bank of Scotland.
|Rt Hon. Mel Stride MP (Chair)||Conservative||Central Devon|
|Harriett Baldwin MP||Conservative||West Worcestershire|
|Steve Baker MP||Conservative||Wycombe|
|Felicity Buchan MP||Conservative||Kensington|
|Anthony Browne MP||Conservative||South Cambridgeshire|
|Julie Marson MP||Conservative||Hertford & Stortford|
|Angela Eagle MP||Labour||Wallasey|
|Liz Kendall MP||Labour||Leicester West|
|Alison McGovern MP||Labour||Wirral South|
|Rushanara Ali MP||Labour||Bethnal Green & Bow|
|Alison Thewliss MP||Scottish National Party||Glasgow Central|
On 12 July 2017, Nicky Morgan became the new chair of the committee.
Occasionally, the House of Commons orders changes to be made in terms of membership of select committees, as proposed by the Committee of Selection. Such changes are shown below.
|29 November 2010||David Rutley MP (Conservative)||Macclesfield||→||David Ruffley MP (Conservative)||Bury St Edmunds||Hansard|
|4 July 2011||Chuka Umunna MP (Labour)||Streatham||→||Tom Blenkinsop MP (Labour)||Middlesbrough South and
|14 November 2011||Tom Blenkinsop MP (Labour)||Middlesbrough South and
|→||Pat McFadden MP (Labour)||Wolverhampton South East||Hansard|
|John Cryer MP (Labour)||Leyton and Wanstead||Teresa Pearce MP (Labour)||Erith and Thamesmead|
|5 November 2012||Michael Fallon MP (Conservative)||Sevenoaks||→||Brooks Newmark MP (Conservative)||Braintree||Hansard|
Chair of the Treasury Select Committee
|Mel Stride||Conservative||Central Devon||23 October 2019||Elected by the House of Commons|
|Nicky Morgan||Conservative||Loughborough||12 July 2017||Elected by the House of Commons|
|Andrew Tyrie||Conservative||Chichester||10 June 2010||Elected by the House of Commons|
|John McFall||Labour Co-op||West Dunbartonshire
|18 July 2001||Elected by the select committee|
|Giles Radice||Labour||North Durham||17 July 1997||Elected by the select committee|
From June 2010 chairs of select committees have been directly elected by a secret ballot of the whole House of Commons using the alternative vote system. Candidates with the fewest votes are eliminated and their votes redistributed until one remaining candidate has more than half of valid votes. Elections are held at the beginning of a parliament or in the event of a vacancy.
|29 January 2020|
|23 October 2019|
|Candidate||First round||Second round|
|12 July 2017|
|Candidate||1st round||2nd round||3rd round||4th round||5th round|
|17 June 2015|
|9 June 2010|
- George Parker (26 January 2012). "Tyrie aims to bring 'Sun King' down to earth". FT.com. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Martin, Will. "Meet Nicky Morgan, the new 'grand inquisitor' of Mark Carney, Philip Hammond and Britain's financial industry". Business Insider UK. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Ex-minister Mel Stride elected as head of Treasury committee". The Times. 24 October 2019. Retrieved 24 October 2019.
- "Nicky Morgan to lead Treasury committee". 12 July 2017. Retrieved 15 April 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "House of Commons - Treasury - Second Special Report". publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- "Standing Orders of the House of Commons". publications.parliament.uk. Retrieved 15 April 2019.
- Priddy, Sarah (16 October 2018). "Chairs of Commons select committees since 2010". UK Parliament. Retrieved 15 April 2019 – via Research Briefings. Cite journal requires
- Treasury Select Committee (29 January 2020). "Committee Chair Election Results 2020" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom. Retrieved March 7, 2020.
- Treasury Select Committee (23 October 2019) "Treasury Committee Chair Election - Result Sheet" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- Treasury Select Committee (12 July 2017). "Committee Chair Election Results" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom 2017. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Treasury Select Committee (17 June 2015). "Committee Chair Election Results 2015" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Treasury Select Committee (9 June 2010). "Committee Chair Election Results 2010" (PDF). House of Commons of the United Kingdom. Retrieved April 15, 2019.