Treat Her Like a Lady (Diana King song)
|"Treat Her Like a Lady"|
|Single by Celine Dion featuring Diana King|
|from the album Let's Talk About Love|
|Released||29 March 1999|
|Format||CD single, cassette single|
|Recorded||1997 Cove City Sound Studios, The Dream Factory, The Hit Factory|
|Genre||Reggae fusion, funk, hip hop, R&B, new jack swing, dance|
|Writer(s)||Diana King, Andy Marvel, Billy Mann, Céline Dion|
|Producer(s)||Ric Wake, Andy Marvel|
"Treat Her Like a Lady" is a song written and recorded by Jamaican reggae singer, Diana King in 1995 for her album Tougher Than Love. Celine Dion covered the song in 1997 for Let's Talk About Love and released it as a single in 1999. Dion's version reached top forty in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Austria.
Celine Dion version
"Treat Her Like a Lady" is the last single from Celine Dion's album Let's Talk About Love. It was released on 29 March 1999 in Europe. Dion changed some lyrics, thus gaining co-writing credit. She recorded it together with King and the American girl group Brownstone who did the backing vocals. The track was later remixed by Ric Wake and the Metro.
"Treat Her Like a Lady" live music video was directed by Gérard Pullicino. It was included on the UK enhanced CD single.
The song peaked at number 16 in Austria, number 29 in the UK and number 40 in Ireland.
The recording of this track was included as a part of the Au cœur du stade DVD bonus.
Dion with Diana King (as a surprise guest) performed the song for the first time in 13 years during her headlining performance at the Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival on 27 January 2012.
EW editor David Browne called Dion's cover an "overarranged stab at reggae dancehall" and "unintentionally amusing." The New York Observer editor Jonathan Bernstein wrote: "She’s fallen on her face before when attempting to be as one with the rhythm, but Celine Dion has never humiliated herself as comprehensively as she does when mashing it up in a dance-hall style on “Treat Her Like a Lady.” As Seinfeld’ s George Costanza remarked in a similar situation, “Sweet fancy Moses!”"
Formats and track listings
European CD single
European CD maxi single
UK cassette maxi single
UK CD maxi single
UK CD maxi single #2
- "Treat Her Like a Lady" (Metro club mix) – 7:08
- "Treat Her Like a Lady" (Ric Wake radio mix) – 3:48
- "Treat Her Like a Lady" (Ric Wake club mix) – 8:07
- "Treat Her Like a Lady" (album version) – 4:05
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||16|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||78|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||70|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||91|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||64|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||62|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||33|
|Spain (Top 40 Radio)||38|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||29|
|United Kingdom||28 June 1999||
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- "Austriancharts.at – Céline Dion – Treat Her Like a Lady" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- Jaspers, Sam (2006). Ultratop 1995-2005. Book & Media Publishing. ISBN 90-5720-232-8.
- "The Eurochart Hot 100 Singles". Music & Media. 14 February 1998. Archived from the original on 4 November 2005. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Céline Dion – Treat Her Like a Lady". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Treat Her Like a Lady". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Céline Dion – Treat Her Like a Lady" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 1999-07-04". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
- Fernando Salaverri (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Céline Dion – Treat Her Like a Lady". Singles Top 100. Retrieved 2 October 2014.
- "Celine Dion: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Celine Dion – Treat Her Like a Lady". Discogs. Retrieved 23 February 2017.