Tree of Heaven (TV series)
|Tree of Heaven|
|Also known as||
Heaven's Tree |
Trees in Heaven
Moon Hee-jung |
|Directed by||Lee Jang-soo|
Lee Wan |
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Huh Woong|
|Running time||Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 (KST)|
Logos Film Co.|
|Original network||Seoul Broadcasting System|
|Original release||8 February– 9 March 2006|
|Preceded by||My Girl|
|Followed by||Bad Family|
Tree of Heaven (Hangul: 천국의 나무; RR: Cheon-guk-ui Na-mu) is a 2006 South Korean-Japanese series starring Lee Wan and Park Shin-hye . It aired on SBS from February 8 to March 9, 2006 on Wednesdays and Thursdays at 21:55 for 10 episodes.
The drama is also the final entry in director Lee Jang-soo's Heaven Trilogy which included Beautiful Days in 2001 and Stairway to Heaven in 2003. Also known as Tengoku no ki (天国の樹), the series was filmed completely in Japan and featured a cast of both Korean and Japanese actors.
Bright and optimistic Korean Japanese teenager Hana (Park Shin-hye) lives at a small hot springs inn owned by her mother. When her mother decides to marry a Korean man, she tries her best to reach out to her odd, introverted stepbrother-to-be Yoon Seo (Lee Wan), who likes to walk barefoot in the snow. He rebuffs her initial efforts, but her cheer eventually wins him over. With their parents on honeymoon, together Hana and Yoon Seo stand up to Hana's spiteful aunt Yoko (Kim Chung) and cousin Maya (Asami Reina), and the two develop an increasingly close relationship over time. Yoon Seo is forward in his love for Hana, but despite feeling the same way, she is unwilling to break the taboo of a romance between step-siblings. After graduating from high school, she leaves for Tokyo with her admirer Fujiwara Ryu (Asahi Uchida), and loses contact with Yoon Seo. 2 years later, Hana, Yoon Seo, and Maya meet again. Time has led them down very different roads, but the love and the rivalry remain the same.
- Lee Wan as Yoon Seo
- Park Shin-hye as Hana
- Asami Reina as Maya
- Asahi Uchida as Fujiwara Ryu
- Jung Dong-hwan as Yoon Soo-ha, Yoon Seo's father
- Kim Chung as Yoko, Maya's mother
- Aika Mire as Michiko, Hana's mother
- Takasugi Ko as Iwa, Yoon Seo's driver/bodyguard
- Lee Jung-gil as Boss
- Sonim as Mika, Hana's friend
- Kobayashi Kinako
In Japan, an abridged version of the series dubbed in Japanese aired on terrestrial network Fuji TV on late-night Thursdays beginning April 13, 2006, and on Fuji TV's satellite channel BS Fuji on Thursdays at 9:00 p.m. beginning April 6, 2006. The original version (with Korean audio and Japanese subtitles) aired on Fuji TV's cable channel CS Fuji in July 2006.
- Park and Lee previously starred together in Stairway to Heaven (2003), also directed by Lee Jang-soo.
- "Drama Trees in Heaven to Air in Japan". KBS Global. 7 March 2006. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Shin, Hae-in (1 March 2006). "Tree of Heaven: a new tryout for a resurgence of Korean Wave". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Lee Wan's Fan Meetings Draw 2,000 Japanese Fans". KBS Global. 11 July 2006. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "Park Shin-hye Invited to Photo Exhibition for Korean Top Stars". KBS Global. 15 June 2006. Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- "ภ.เกาหลีชุด สุดปลายฟ้า สัญญารักนิรันดร์ (TREE IN HEAVEN)". Channel 7 (in Thai). Retrieved 2015-11-24.