Tree of Hippocrates
The Tree of Hippocrates is the plane tree (or platane, in Europe) under which, according to legend, Hippocrates of Kos (considered the father of medicine) taught his pupils the art of medicine. Paul of Tarsus purportedly taught here as well. The Platanus in Kos is an oriental plane (Platanus orientalis), with a crown diameter of about 12 metres, said to be the largest for a plane tree in Europe.
Hippocrates' tree resides on the Platía Platanou (or "Square of the Platane"), in front of the Castle of Knights and next to the Gazi Hassan Mosque (erected in 1776) in the centre of Kos town. The current tree is only about 500 years old, but may possibly be a descendant of the original tree which allegedly stood there 2400 years ago, in Hippocrates' time. The tree has become hollowed out over the years, and some branches are supported by metal scaffolding. Next to the tree is a white tap with engravings in the Arabic language, also built by the Turkish Governor Gazi Hassan.
Derivatives of the original tree
Seeds or cuttings from the tree have been spread all over the world. A cutting of the tree was presented as a gift from the island of Kos to the United States and the National Library of Medicine, and planted on December 14, 1961 on the grounds surrounding the library. Many medical colleges, libraries or institutions have, or claim to have, trees cut or seeded from the original tree in Kos.
Trees cut or seeded from the original tree can be found, among others:
- A cutting was planted on the campus of the University of Alabama at Birmingham to accompany a commissioned marble statue of Hippocrates. The 1971 installation was a gift from the Nakos Foundation to the University's medical center.
- The Canadian Medical Association obtained a cutting in 1969, which was planted in Walker County, Alabama in 1981.
- at The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI
- at The Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University 
- at Mercer University School of Medicine
- at the University of Michigan Medical School
- at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- at the University of Victoria
- at Yale University
- at the University of Florida J Hillis Miller Health Science Center, where College of Medicine students obtained cuttings in 1969 and which inspired the annual Hippocratic Award
- at the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- at the West Virginia School of Medicine Library, Charleston, West Virginia
- at the Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tennessee
- at MedStar Harbor Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
- at New York Medical College / Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, NY
- at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School 
- adjacent to the University of Utah School of Medicine, where it is planted at the southwest corner of the Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library
- at the University of Glasgow, Department of Medical Genetics
- at Queen's University Belfast Medical School, Northern Ireland 
- at the University of Barcelona, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- at University of Sydney's School of Rural Health in Dubbo, Australia.
- at Burwood Hospital, in Christchurch, New Zealand
- at Orange Health Services, Orange, Australia
- "HIPPOCRATES PLANE TREE - KOS GREECE". Archived from the original on February 4, 2008. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- Hendriksen, Bartho; Leo Platvoet (1996). Ródos, Kós & Dodekánisos. Amsterdam: Babylon-De Geus. p. 69. ISBN 90-6222-518-7.
- Voyageur Tours. "Kos Facts - Voyageur's Europe online". Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Greek Islands - Aegean Islands - Kos". Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Brief History". The College of Family Physicians of Canada. August 23, 2004. Archived from the original on October 11, 2006. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- Sheldon Rubenfeld, M.D. (March 2004). "HEALING BY KILLING: MEDICINE IN THE THIRD REICH". Houston Medicine Magazine. Archived from the original on May 11, 2006. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- National Library of Medicine (March 1, 2000). "Objects of Art: Tree of Hippocrates". United States National Institutes of Health. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- Williams, Ann (September 6, 2006). "FYI archives, September 6, 2006". The University of Utah. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- Norton, Bertha Bendall (1970). Birmingham's First Magic Century: Were You There?. Birmingham, Alabama: Lakeshore Press.
- "ALABAMA'S FAMOUS & HISTORIC TREE PROGRAM - 2003" (PDF). Alabama Forestry Commission. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 19, 2006. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Tree of Knowledge". www.brownmedicinemagazine.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "The Tree of Hippocrates: West Campus Addition Rooted in ancient Greece". ECU News Services. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- "AHEPA Organization Donates Statue of Hippocrates". University of Michigan Health History Research Center. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Hippocrates Tree to be Planted, Blessed at Medical School". Mercer University. Archived from the original on November 26, 2005. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "CLIKAS HONORED FOR PLANTING OF "THE TREES OF HIPPOCRATES"". University of South Alabama Biomedical Library. May 1, 1997. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Forest Biology Tree Walk" (PDF). University of Victoria. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 6, 2009. Retrieved September 9, 2008.
- "Yale Medicine, Spring 2006, archives". Yale Medicine. 1981. Archived from the original on September 9, 2006. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- "Christine Borland". York University Art Gallery. Archived from the original on March 14, 2007. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- https://www.qub.ac.uk/News/Allnews/ErskineHouseTreeCrownedNorthernIrelandsTreeoftheYear.html],https://www.qub.ac.uk/News/Allnews/ErskineHouseTreeCrownedNorthernIrelandsTreeoftheYear.html, ERSKINE HOUSE TREE CROWNED NORTHERN IRELAND’S ‘TREE OF THE YEAR’
- "Barcelona planta un árbol descendiente del de Hipócrates". La Vanguardia. Retrieved 2017-10-24.
- Kidd, Michael (September 2006). "Hippocrates' tree" (PDF). The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners. p. 733. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 6, 2011. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
- David J Tiller; Rick McLean; Bruce C Harris (November 2005). "Hippocrates came across our desks". Medical Journal of Australia: 602. Retrieved September 22, 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tree of Hippocrates.|
- Tree of Hippocrates panorama 360 panorama view of the ancient Plane Tree in the Square of the Platane, Kos .