The name derives from the Welsh language Tref 'township' and Eglwys 'church'. The village sits on the Afon Trannon. There are many amenities in the village including public house, garage, parish church, Nonconformist chapel, primary school, village hall and children's playground.
Historically, the parish of Trefeglwys includes the townships of Bodaioch, Maestrefgomer, Esgeirieth and Dolgwden. In a rural area, the parish of Trefeglwys is about eight miles (13 km) long by three miles (4.8 km) wide.
Notable people born in Trefeglwys
- 2012 Rally America Champion Driver David Higgins.
- 2003 World Rally champion Co-driver Phil Mills (1963- ).
- Rev Dr John Breynton, DD (CIR 1730-1799) - rector of Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Rev Evan Pugh of Rhiwi 1762-1830 Vicar, Eglwys Fach - married Anne Owen of Trefeglwys 1786-1869 - Child Evan Pugh 1874 who married Margaret Parry de Heveningham -
- "Trefeglwys (Parish): Key Figures for 2011 Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- Trefeglwys - A One Parish Study
- Trefeglwys Community Council - Key Statistics, Powys Council Council Research and Information Unit
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Trefeglwys and surrounding area
|This Powys location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|