|English: Three Colours|
Coat of arms of S.R.Romania (1965-1989)
National anthem of Socialist Republic of Romania
|National anthems of Romania|
Trei culori ("Three colours") was the national anthem of the Socialist Republic of Romania from 1977 until 1990. Since 1990, after the Romanian Revolution of 1989, it has been replaced by Deșteaptă-te, române!. Before 1977 the national anthem had been Te slăvim, Românie, introduced in 1953.
Trei culori is based on a Romanian patriotic song with the same title (music and lyrics by Ciprian Porumbescu). The original text twice underwent non-credited revisions in order to reflect the country's Communist doctrine as well as parallels between past and present glories.
The title refers to the national flag of Romania, which is a red-yellow-blue tricolour. It has not undergone many or major changes in the history of the Romanian state. Only the distribution of the colors (in point of proportion and position) changed to a certain extent, being made equal after the abortive Romanian revolution of 1848. The Romanian principalities were among many European states during that time that were inspired by the French revolutionary spirit to make a tricolour or dimensionally standardized three-color banner as their national flag.
The song continued as the national anthem for a few months after the overthrow of Communism, but with Porumbescu's original patriotic lyrics.
- Trei culori cunosc pe lume
- Ce le țin de-un sânt odor,
- Sunt culori de-un vechi renume
- Suveniri de-un brav popor.
- Roșu-i focul ce-mi străbate,
- Inima-mi plină de dor
- Pentru sânta libertate
- Și al patriei amor.
- Auriu ca mândrul soare
- Fi-va'l nostru viitor
- Pururea'n eternă floare
- Și cu luci netrecător
- Iar albastrul e credința
- Pentru nație ce-oi nutrim
- Credincioși fără schimbare
- Pân' la moarte o să-i fim
- Pân' pe cer și cât în lume
- Vor fi aste trei culori
- Vom avea un falnic nume
- Și un falnic viitor
- Iar când, fraților, m'oi duce
- De la voi ș'oi fi să mor
- Pe mormânt, atunci să-mi puneți
- Mândrul nostru tricolor
- Three colours I know in the world
- And I hold them like a holy jewel
- They are colours with an ancient fame
- Reminders of a brave nation.
- Red is the fire that permeates
- My heart which is full of longing
- For holy liberty
- And the love for the motherland.
- Golden as the proud sun
- Shall be out future.
- Always in eternal blossom
- And unwithered radiance.
- And blue is our loyalty
- To our nation, which we cherish.
- To it we shall be loyal
- To the death, without faltering.
- As long as in the sky and in the world
- There will be these three colours
- We'll have a glorious name
- And a glorious future.
- And when, brothers, I shall leave you
- And the time will have come to die,
- On my tomb then lay
- Our proud tricolor flag.
- Trei culori cunosc pe lume,
- Amintind de-un brav popor,
- Ce-i viteaz, cu vechi renume,
- În luptă triumfător.
- Multe secole luptară
- Străbunii noștri eroi,
- Să trăim stăpîni în ţară,
- Ziditori ai lumii noi.
- Roșu, galben și albastru
- Este-al nostru tricolor.
- Se înalță ca un astru
- Gloriosul meu popor.
- Suntem un popor în lume
- Strâns unit și muncitor,
- Liber, cu un nou renume
- Și un țel cutezător.
- Azi partidul ne unește
- Și pe plaiul românesc
- Socialismul se clădește,
- Prin elan muncitoresc.
- Pentru-a patriei onoare,
- Vrăjmașii-n luptă-i zdrobim.
- Cu alte neamuri sub soare,
- Demn, în pace, să trăim.
- Iar tu, Românie mîndră,
- Tot mereu să dăinuiesti
- Și în comunista eră
- Ca o stea să strălucești.
Literal English translation
- Three colours I know in the world,
- Reminders of a brave people –
- Since old times, with old renown
- Victorious in battle.
- For long ages
- Our heroic forefathers fought
- To live as masters of this land,
- Builders of our world.
- Red, yellow, and blue
- Is our tricolour
- The glory of my people
- Rises like a star
- We are a people in the world
- Close-knit and industrious,
- Free, with a new renown
- and an audacious aim.
- Today the Party unites us
- And on Romanian land
- Socialism will be built,
- Through the workers' spirit.
- For the honor of our homeland,
- We crush enemies in battle.
- With other nations under the sun,
- We live, trustworthy, in peace.
- But you, splendid Romania,
- Shall stand for ever and ever,
- And in the Communist era
- Shall shine as a star.
Free English translation
- With three colours I'm acquainted
- With their holiness embraced
- Since old times by glory painted
- And recall a gallant race
- Red's the fire that's inside
- My own patriotic heart
- Liberty, so it decided
- Shall be it's goals from the start
- With three colours I'm acquainted
- Which recall a gallant race –
- Since old times by glory sainted
- Battles has it won apace.
- For long ages our forefathers
- Have this gallant flag unfurled,
- So we may the land's fruit gather,
- Building here the future's world.
- This tricolour flag of ours
- Flutters crimson, yellow, blue,
- Like a star in skyey bowers
- Rise my people, brave and true.
- In this world we are a nation
- Keen on work and of one soul.
- Free and with new reputation,
- Sharing one ambitious goal.
- Now united by our Party;
- In Romania's meads and fields,
- Our work is hard and hearty,
- Building Socialism its yield.
- For the homeland's greater glory
- We crush enemies at fight,
- But we'd share a peaceful story
- With all peoples in proud light.
- Proud Romania, now dearer,
- Live forever in fine light!
- In the Communist new era
- Like a star you must shine bright!