|Directed by||Scott Colthorp|
|Narrated by||Rod Roddenberry|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||82 minutes|
Trek Nation is a 2011 documentary film directed by Scott Colthorp examining the positive impact that Star Trek and creator Gene Roddenberry may have had on people's lives as seen through the eyes of his son, Eugene "Rod" Roddenberry, Jr.. It includes interviews with castmembers and crew from all five Star Trek incarnations as well as with various fans and celebrities who were markedly influenced by the show while growing up. Rod Roddenberry also visits Skywalker Ranch to learn about the influence Star Trek had on George Lucas. The film premiered on November 30, 2011 on Science.
The documentary was conceived in 2001, although Rod Roddenberry said in interviews that the concept began with the death of his father, Gene Roddenberry, in 1991. He stated that the film was based on discovering his father rather than Star Trek in general. It was shot by Rod Roddenberry between 2001 and 2010, he said that "I'd never done a documentary before. This was 10 years of trying to figure out what to do. We made mistakes all the way." Trek Nation was produced by Roddenberry Entertainment and New Animal Productions, with Roddenberry, Trevor Roth and Nicole Rittenmeyer as executive producers.
Trek Nation was first broadcast in the United States on the television channel Science on November 30, 2011. It was first broadcast in the United Kingdom on the channel Quest on July 29, 2012.
- "A Son Remembers". Mint. July 9, 2012. Archived from the original on June 29, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013. (subscription required)
- "Science Explores the Legacy of the Star Trek Phenomenon With the Definitive Two-Hour Television Event: Trek Nation". Defense & Aerospace Week. November 30, 2011. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 8, 2013. (subscription required)
- Thill, Scott (May 15, 2010). "Q&A: Trek Nation Director Scott Colthorp on Star Trek, Optimism and Dissed Fans". Wired. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Gilbert, Matthew (November 30, 2011). "Critic's Corner". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on February 25, 2016. Retrieved April 8, 2013.(subscription required)
- Official website
- Trek Nation on YouTube
- Trek Nation at IMDb
- Actor Wil Wheaton elaborating on his participation in the documentary