Tremec TR-3650 transmission
The TREMEC TR-3650 is a 5-speed manual transmission for longitudinal engine automobiles. It includes a 5th gear that functions as an overdrive gear, light-weight aluminum housings, a synchromesh reverse gear, and synchromeshed helical cut forward gears. It is manufactured by Transmission Technologies Corporation and is rated for 360 ft⋅lbf (490 N⋅m) of torque. The loss in power transmission efficiency is rated at approximately 16% in 4th gear for a 2005–2010 Ford Mustang GT.
TR-3650 used in the 2001-2004 Ford Mustang GT
- 1st: 3.380:1
- 2nd: 2.000:1
- 3rd: 1.320:1
- 4th: 1.000:1
- 5th: 0.670:1 (used in 2001 with GT, Bullitt and Cobra)
- 5th: 0.620:1 (used in 02-04 with GT and Mach 1)
- Rev: 3.380:1
Note that in the other TR-3650 applications, the 5th gear ratio is also available with 0.68(05-10 with 3.55:1 final drive) and 0.74.
In 2002 Ford Australia's vehicle were fitted with the following ratios:
- 1st 3.37:1
- 2nd 2.00:1
- 3rd 1.32:1
- 4th 1.00:1
- 5th 0.62:1
- Reverse 3.77:1
Recommended Oil and Fill Capacity
TREMEC engineers have recommended Texaco-Havoline Dexron III/Mercon Non-Synthetic ATF. There has been a significant amount of confusion regarding the proper capacity and proper type of ATF for the TR-3650 which may have a correlation with a rather large number of complaints about notchy shifting, shift "nibbling", noisy synchros, and grinding gears. The 2007 Mustang GT owner's manual specified the use of 3.0 L of non-synthetic Mercon ATF in the 3650, while the 2008 Mustang GT owner's manual now specifies the use of 3.0 L of Mercon-V ATF in the 3650. Dexron III/Mercon Non-Synthetic ATF seems to work best for pre-2005 Mustang GTs. NB: Tremec service manual also specifies Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ( Tremec specification ET-M-99 ) in addition to Dexron III.
Note that Tremec engineers have also recommended GM Synchromesh as the transmission fluid.
- 2001 Ford Mustang Cobra, top-loading shifter.
- 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt
- 2001-2004 Ford Mustang GT, top-loading shifter.
- 2002 Ford Tickford Experience AU Series 3 TE50
- 2002 Ford Tickford Experience AU Series 3 TS50
- 2002 Ford AU Series 3 Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250
- 2003-2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1
- 2002-2003 Ford Falcon BA
- 2003-2005 MG ZT 260
- 2005–2010 Ford Mustang GT, Bullitt, remote mounted shifter (TCET5757)
- Road&Track 5th Gen Mustang Specs