Racing silks of Paul de Moussac
|Owner||Paul de Moussac & Bruce McNall|
|Prix de Courcelles (1987)
Prix Niel (1987)
Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe (1987)
|Timeform rating: 135|
|Last updated on August 24, 2008|
He was bred by Marystead Farm, the American arm of French horseman Paul de Moussac, owner of the Haras du Mezeray stud farm at Ticheville in the Lower Normandy Region of France. Sired by Sharpen Up, he was out of the mare Trephine who was a daughter of Canadian Horse of the Year, Viceregal, a first-crop son of Northern Dancer. He was conditioned for racing by Andre Fabre.
Trempolino's best performance at age two was a fourth-place finish (promoted to third on disqualification of the winner) in the Critérium de Maisons-Laffitte. At three in 1987, he ran second in the Prix du Jockey Club and Prix Lupin, and was third in the Grand Prix de Paris and the Prix Guillaume d'Ornano. His important wins that year all came at Longchamp Racecourse in Paris where he won a Listed race, the Prix de Courcelles, plus the prep for the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, the G2 Prix Niel.
A few days before the Arc, Laura de Seroux, on behalf of Los Angeles, California businessman Bruce McNall, purchased a half interest in Trempolino.  The eleven-horse field for that year's Arc was a strong one with top European runners such as Tony Bin, Triptych and Reference Point, the latter sent off as the betting favorite. Ridden by Pat Eddery, Trempolino capitalized on a fast pace and won in record time, beating the record set by Dancing Brave in 1986 by a full 1.3 seconds. Pat Eddery was aboard Trempolino again six weeks later in the Breeders' Cup Turf at Hollywood Park Racetrack in California in which he finished second to Theatrical.
Retired to stud, Trempolino stood at Gainesway Farm in Lexington, Kentucky where he remained until 2000 when he was sent to Paul de Moussac's Haras du Mezeray in France. He has sired a number of successful runners as well as important broodmares.
- Dernier Empereur (b. 1990) - won races in France, England, and the United States including the G1 Champion Stakes, G2 Del Mar Handicap
- Snow Polina (b. 1995) - won G1 Beverly D. Stakes
- Valixir (b. 2001) - won G1: Prix d'Ispahan (2005), G1 Queen Anne Stakes (2005), G2: Prix Eugene Adam (2004), Prix Niel (2004)
- Blue Canari (b. 2001) - won Prix du Jockey Club (2004)
- Round Pond (b. 2002) - won Breeders' Cup Distaff (2006)
- Action This Day (b. 2001) - won Breeders' Cup Juvenile (2003), American Champion Two-Year-Old Colt (2003)