Murphy with the Washington Redskins in 2015
|No. 93 Washington Redskins|
|Date of birth:||December 22, 1990|
|Place of birth:||Scottsdale, Arizona|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||259 lb (117 kg)|
|High school:||Phoenix (AZ) Brophy|
|NFL Draft:||2014 / Round: 2 / Pick: 47|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2016|
Trenton Allen "Trent" Murphy (born December 22, 1990) is an American football outside linebacker for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Stanford, and was drafted by the Redskins in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft.
High school career
Murphy graduated in 2009 from Brophy College Preparatory He was a letterman in track. In Murphy’s junior season (2007–08) he helped back Brophy Prep to an Arizona 5A1 Division championship. As a senior in 2008-09 he served as team captain, leading Brophy to a runner-up 5A1 Division finish.
Freshman and sophomore years (2009–2010)
Murphy did not see field action in his freshman year (2009) and was sidelined due to injury two games into his sophomore year (2010). During the two games he played in his sophomore year, Murphy logged one sack and two solo tackles against Sacramento State.
Junior year (2011)
In 2011, Murphy bounced back from his 2010 injury to record stellar numbers, logging 40 tackles, 6.5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. In his first game against San Jose State, Murphy recorded 5 tackles. Murphy registered a career high with 10 tackles, 9 solo, including 2 tackles for loss of yards against the Oregon Ducks. In the January 2, 2012 Fiesta Bowl against 13th-ranked Oklahoma State, Murphy sacked Brandon Weeden for a 9-yard loss. In sum over the 2011 season Murphy logged 6.5 sacks for -43 yards, 10 tackles for loss for -50 yards, 25 solo tackles and 15 assists.
Senior year (2012)
Murphy started all 14 games of the 2012 season for Stanford's Pac-12 championship season. He led the Cardinal defense with 10 sacks and 18 tackles for loss, the best defensive records for Stanford since 2000 and 2004 respectively. Murphy’s season included 6 QB hurries, 4 passes broken up and 1 forced fumble. Murphy recorded his first career interception of a pass made by Keith Price, resulting in a 40-yard return for a touchdown. Murphy registered another career high game against number 1 ranked Notre Dame, with 10 tackles 1.5 sacks including 2.5 tackles for loss of yards. The Stanford defense was the 2012 NCAA Division I-A Sack Leader, with Murphy topping the list. Murphy was named to the All-Pac-12, 2012 1st team, CBS All America Team 3rd  2012 Associated Press All-American 3rd Team 3rd, and the 2012 Sports Illustrated All-American Team. He was a Butkus Award semi-finalist and won the Stanford-player voted Jack Huston Award recipient for exceptional performance and unheralded effort 
|2012 season||Sacks||Sack Yds||Solo Tkl||TFL*||QB hurry|
|San Jose State||0.0||0.0||3.0||1.0||0.0|
|at Notre Dame||1.5||11.0||5.0||2.5||3.0|
|at Oregon (Ducks)||2.0||8.0||4.0||2.0||0.0|
|at UCLA Pac-12 Championship||0.5||3.0||2.0||1.5||0.0|
|vs Wisconsin Rose Bowl||0.0||0.0||1.0||0.0||0.0|
− Source: cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy, *TFL 87 yards total, **Pick Six, 40 yard return
Fifth-Year Senior (2013)
Murphy chose to return to Stanford for a fifth-year senior season, despite his option to enter the 2013 NFL Draft. At the end of the 2013 season Murphy ranked first for sacks in the Pac-12, as well as, first for total number of sacks in the NCAA with a total of 15 sacks, 119 yards lost an average of 1.07 per game. In the category of tackles for loss, Murphy ranked second overall with 23.5 (83 yards total, 1.68 avg per game). Murphy was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the week in weeks 6 (Oct. 7) and 9 (Oct. 28). On November 1, 2013 Murphy was named the Chuck Bednarik Player of the week, shortly after moving to the semi-finalist round of voting for the Bednarik Award. On November 8, 2013 Murphy moved to the semi-finalist round for the Lombardi Award given to the nation's best O/D lineman or linebacker. For the second year, Murphy was named to the All-Pac-12 First team, along with 5 Stanford Cardinal teammates. On Dec. 7 the Stanford Cardinal defeated ASU to earn the Pac-12 Championship title for the second year in a row and earned the honor of playing in the 2014 Rose Bowl game, as they did in 2012. Also for the second year running, Murphy received Stanford's Jack Huston Award, voted by his peers as the player exemplifying aggressiveness, exceptional performance and unheralded efforts. Additionally, at the Dec. 8, 2013 football awards ceremony, Murphy received the Frank Rehm memorial award for outstanding lineman in the Big Game (reference for 2 Stanford awards pending publication). Murphy was named to the 2013 Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American first team, in its 124th year. In addition to the Walter Camp Foundation honor, Murphy was voted to All-American teams by the Football Writer's Association of America, American Football Coaches Association and Sporting News. These honors resulted in Murphy being named to the 2013 College Football Consensus All-American Team. Murphy logged 4 tackles playing defensive end in the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama on January 25, 2014. During the practices leading up to the game was tested at both defensive end and outside linebacker positions. He participated in the NFL Combine February 22–25, 2014 in Indianapolis.
2013 season statistics
|Trent Murphy 2013 season||Sacks||Sack yds||Solo tkl||Asst Tkl||TFL||TFL yds||QB hurry|
|San Jose State||2.0||24.0||2.0||0||2.0||24.0||1.0|
|Pac-12 champ vs ASU||1.0||8.0||7.0||0||2.0||11.0||0|
|2014 Rose Bowl vs Michigan State||1.0||8.0||2.0||2.0||2.0||10.0||0|
Source: cfbstats.com/2013, * TFL yards as of 11/02/2013, ** Pick Six, 30 yard return.
2013 Season Awards, Honors and Commendations
- Pre-season All-American second teams: SI.com Phil Steele Athlon Sports
- Pre-season All-Pac-12: Phil Steele Athlon Sports Lindy's All-Pac-12
- Team Captain
- Award watch list and semifinalist: Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Award, Butkus Award, Rotary Lombardi Award 
- Stanford's co-Defensive Player of the Game: vs San Jose State, vs Washington State, vs Oregon State 
- Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week, October 7 and again October 28 
- Stanford's Jack Huston Award for exceptional performance and unheralded efforts, second year running.
- Stanford's Frank Rehm Memorial Award presented to the Outstanding Lineman in the Big Game.
- Post-season All-Pac-12 teams: ESPN.com Athlon Sports Second Team Sporting News
- Post-season All American Second teams; Associated Press CBSSports.com  USA Today Athlon Sports 
- Post-season All American First teams: Walter Camp Football Foundation American Football Coaches Association Football Writers Association of America  Sporting News SI.com, ESPN.com
- Based on the votes for All-American honors, "Murphy is Stanford's first consensus defensive player since 1974" 
- Reeses Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama 
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5⅜ in||250 lb||33⅜ in||11⅛ in||4.72 s||1.65 s||2.71 s||4.20 s||6.78 s||35½ in||9 ft 10 in||19 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Washington Redskins selected Murphy with the fifteenth pick of the second round, 47th overall pick, in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Redskins signed him to a four-year contract on May 23, 2014. He had his first career start in the Week 8 win against the Dallas Cowboys after Brian Orakpo was placed on injured reserve. In his rookie year, Murphy had a total of eight career starts, but was placed on injured reserve after suffering a fractured bone in his right hand on December 23 and missed the last game of his rookie season.
For the 2016 season, Murphy shifted over from outside linebacker to the defensive end position, and gained over 30 pounds to help him transition to the move. Murphy switched back to the outside linebacker position before the start of the season due to injuries at the position. On April 14, 2017, Murphy was suspended four games for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy.
- "All-Arizona Track and Field Teams". azcentral.com. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Larson, Sean (August 4, 2011). "Oregon Ducks Ranked Third in USA Today Poll: Too Much Pressure?". BleachReport.com. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- "2012 Stanford Cardinal Trent Murphy #93 Sacks Game Log". CFBStats.com. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- Aber, Ryan (August 17, 2013). "Oklahoma State at No. 13 in preseason AP poll, Sooners No. 16". NewsOK.com. Retrieved 2013-11-04.
- Oklahoma State vs Stanford Highlight
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8433915, accessed Nov. 4 2013, ESPN, accessed Aug. 2, 2013.
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21534509/notre-dame-still-1-in-one-bcs-computer-ranking, accessed Nov. 4 2013
- cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy,http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/sack/gamelog.html,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks 2012 NCAA Division I-A Sack Leaders, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacksaccessed Aug. 2, 2013
- GoStanford, http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/50177/pac-12-2012-awards-announced, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/21361908/ap-releases-2012-all-america-teams 2012
- http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-12-11/all-american-ap-johnny-manziel-alabama-marqise-lee-jadeveon-clowney-montee-ball, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21361908/ap-releases-2012-all-america-teams, accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20121211/postseason-all-america-team/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a0,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- "Murphy Named Butkus Award Semifinalist". GoStanford.com. October 22, 2012. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=208167737accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/674/1026169/index.html cfbstats.com/Trent Murphy, accessed Nov. 3 2013
- http://goldengatesports.com/2013/07/27/stanford-cardinal-football-how-much-depth-do-they-have-on-defense,accessed Aug. 2, 2013
- "Pac-12 Conference Statistics - 2013". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- "FBS (I-A) Player Defense Statistics - 2013". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/leader/national/player/split01/category21/sort01.html, accessed Jan. 23, 2014
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/64430/pac-12-names-players-of-the-week-6, accessed Nov. 2, 2013
- "Pac-12's Maxwell, Bednarik semifinalists". espn.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Lombardi Award semifinalists announced". collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/02/pac-12-football-awards-and-all-conference-teams-announced-0, accessed December 5, 2013
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/12/07/football-championship-game-final-stanford-rolls-past-asu-earn-rose-bowl-bid, accessed Dec. 8, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30600&ATCLID=209340255, accessed Dec. 12 2013
- http://www.collegefootballuniverseblog.com/1/post/2013/12/2013-college-football-consensus-all-america-team-winston-not-unanimous.html, accessed Jan. 2, 2014
- "Stanford LB Trent Murphy happy to play on line". nfl.com. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- NFL Combine Profile
- http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/674/1026169/index.html, accessed Nov. 30, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130808/preseason-all-america-team/, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.philsteele.com/blogs/2013/JUN13/DBJune05.html, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- "College Football 2013 All-America Team". athlonsports.com. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "2013 Preseason All-Pac-12 Team". philsteele.com.
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208167737&DB_OEM_ID=30600, Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.gostanford.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208167737&DB_OEM_ID=30600, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://pac-12.com/article/2013/11/11/pac-12-announces-football-players-week, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/66932/espn-coms-all-pac-12-team, accessed Dec. 19 2013
- http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-2013-postseason-all-america-team, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/usc/post/_/id/14634/postseason-honors-in-pac-12, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/ap-all-america-team-list, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24378905/ap-allamerica-team-winston-carey-mosley-lead-first-team, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.waltercamp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2013-Walter-Camp-All-America-Team.pdf?23e1d7, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=AllAmericaTeams, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://www.sportswriters.net/fwaa/awards/allamerica/, accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20131217/college-football-all-america-team/ accessed Dec. 19, 2013
- http://espn.go.com/ncf/feature/video/_/page/postseasonallamerica2013/2012-all-america-team, accessed Dec. 19 2013
- "It's Unanimous". gostanford.com. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "Report: Stanford’s Trent Murphy Accepts Senior Bowl Invite". goldengatesports.com. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- Trent Murphy, DS #8 DE, Stanford
- Bullock, Mark (May 14, 2014). "A closer look at second-round pick Trent Murphy". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- Jones, Mike (May 23, 2014). "Redskins sign top pick OLB Trent Murphy". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- Clarke, Liz (October 22, 2014). "Rookie Trent Murphy’s speed and stamina will be tested, with Brian Orakpo out". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2015-01-03.
- Jones, Mike (December 23, 2014). "Trent Murphy placed on IR, OL Rishaw Johnson signed". WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved 2014-12-23.
- Czarda, Stephen. "With Move Inside, Trent Murphy's Bulking Up Phase Well Underway". Redskins.com. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Gulizia, Anthony. "Trent Murphy embracing transition from outside linebacker to defensive end". Washington Times. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- Jones, Mike. "Trent Murphy moves back to outside linebacker with Redskins still seeking depth". Washington Post. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- Bergman, Jeremy. "Trent Murphy suspended four games". NFL. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trent Murphy.|