Trentham Gardens railway station
|Original company||North Staffordshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway |
British Railways (London Midland region)
|28 March 1910||Opened as Trentham Park|
|September 1927||closed to regular traffic|
|7 October 1946||renamed Trentham Gardens|
|1 October 1957||closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Trentham Gardens railway station (originally named Trentham Park) was the last station built by the North Staffordshire Railway (NSR) and was the terminus of the short 1 mile 14 chains (1.18 miles; 1.89 kilometres) Trentham Park branch.
Regular passenger traffic on the branch line was withdrawn between 1927 and 1938 although excursion trains ran frequently. In 1938 a regular Sunday service was reintroduced but the outbreak of the Second World War led to the discontinuation of these services.
During the war the Central Clearing House of the Bank of England was evacuated from London to Trentham Hall and regular goods trains ran to Trentham Park to deliver supplies and excursion trains continued throughout the war.
Since closure the site of the station has been built upon and is now a housing estate.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway and Canal Historical Society. p. 386. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.
- Jeuda, Basil (2010). The North Staffordshire Railway in LMS days. 1. Lydney, Gloucestershire: Lightmoor Press. p. 82. ISBN 978-1899889-48-8.
- Christiansen, Rex & Miller, Robert William (1971). The North Staffordshire Railway. Newton Abbot, Devon: David & Charles. p. 114. ISBN 0-7153-5121- 4.
- Hennessey, Elizabeth (1992). A Domestic History of the Bank of England, 1930-1960. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0521391405.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2016). Rugeley to Stoke-on-Trent. West Sussex: Middleton Press. figs. 96-100. ISBN 9781908174901. OCLC 972169395.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Terminus||North Staffordshire Railway||
Line and station closed