Trenton tomato pie
|Place of origin||United States|
|Part of a series on|
Trenton tomato pie or New Jersey tomato pie is a type of circular, thin-crust Italian tomato pie created in Trenton, New Jersey, United States around the early 20th century in which cheese and other toppings are added on first, then the sauce.
The distinction between pizza and Trenton tomato pies is in the process of making the pie. Unlike the thicker square Italian tomato pie, Trenton tomato pie is often circular, of the thin-crust variety and includes cheese. In this style of tomato pie, the mozzarella and toppings are placed on the pie first followed by the tomato sauce placed on top.
The Trenton region is home to the two oldest currently operating New Jersey tomato pie restaurants in the United States, Papa's and De Lorenzo's. Trenton tomato pies have expanded across the region. In 1991, Palermo's opened in Bordentown, New Jersey. In September 2017, Classico Tomato Pies opened in West Windsor and won best Trenton tomato pie by the Bridgewater Courier News.
|Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe/module on|
- Karen L. Schnitzspahn (16 October 2012). Jersey Shore Food History: Victorian Feasts to Boardwalk Treats. Arcadia Publishing Incorporated. pp. 131–. ISBN 978-1-61423-727-3.
- Capuzzo, Jill (2010-01-12). "Trenton Tomato Pies Are Still A Staple of the New Jersey Pizza Scene". New Jersey Monthly. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "The Dish: Chef Tony Gemignani". cbsnews.com. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- DK (2 February 2015). DK Eyewitness Travel Guide USA. DK Publishing. pp. 127–. ISBN 978-1-4654-3834-8.
- Scott Wiener (2017-04-01). "The Trenton Tomato Pie". Pizza Today. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- Capuzzo, Jill P. (2018-03-06). "In the Classic Tomato Pie, Tomatoes are Still on Top". New Jersey Monthly. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- A Slice of Heaven: American Pizza Timeline
- Emanski, Joe (29 August 2018). "Classico Tomato Pies is setting a new standard for Trenton-style pizza". Community News. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- Jenna Intersimone; Sarah Griesemer; Tammy Paolino (2018-07-19). "10 of the best tomato pies in New Jersey". MY CENTRAL JERSEY. Retrieved 27 November 2018.
- Klein, Michael (11 April 2018). "Trenton pizza crosses the Delaware". Philly.com. Retrieved 27 November 2018.