Trespass Against Us
|Trespass Against Us|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Adam Smith|
|Written by||Alastair Siddons|
|Music by||Tom Rowlands|
Trespass Against Us is a British-American crime drama film directed by Adam Smith and written by Alastair Siddons. The film stars Michael Fassbender, Brendan Gleeson, Sean Harris, Lyndsey Marshal, Rory Kinnear, and Killian Scott.
It was selected to be screened in the Special Presentations section at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival. It was released in the United States on 20 January 2017, by A24 and in the United Kingdom on 3 March 2017 by Lionsgate.
To give a better future to his son, Chad Cutler (Michael Fassbender) tries to get out of the criminal business that his family has run for generations. However, his own father Colby (Brendan Gleeson) considers doing so a betrayal, so it will not be easy for Chad to leave a well-rooted criminal system.
Film opens to the gypsy Cutler family living in their campers with the kids and animals in northern England. They stage a police chase in honor of brother Bryan. Chad opposes a Sunday night robbery and his wife Kelly wants him to stand up more against his father. Chad wants a different life for his son Tyson. The father demands and expects respect and authority. They rob and set fire to a noble man's estate. In the escape Chad kills officer Lovage's police dog and eludes the helicopter's heat camera by hiding under a heifer. He outsmarts the cops again.
Dad takes the kids to school but later Mom wakes him to the news the children are missing. The local police tell Mom if she tells where her husband was the night before maybe they will help. The police had custody of her children all day. Next day a swat team descends all over the family compound. Everything is destroyed and all animals are killed. Colby and Chad are interrogated with each side despising the other. Although the authorities know who did it, they have to release them once again.
Colby has a family meeting and demands they all stand together and plans a move. Chad learn his father has forbidden Noah from selling a property to him. The school has expelled his children. Chad and his wife want to live a new way. Chad goes to buy a puppy for his son for his 7th birthday. When Dad could not write to complete the paperwork, the man recognizes him and refuses to sell him the dog. In anger he steals the puppy and the man's car. The police have a provable crime. Chad calls his Dad to bring his son to the old oak tree. Father and the boy climb the tree, dad gives his son the puppy and together they hold off the police. After giving his son fatherly advice, Chad surrenders with words of love to his wife.
- Michael Fassbender as Chad Cutler - Son
- Brendan Gleeson as Colby Cutler - Father
- Lyndsey Marshal as Kelly Cutler - Wife
- Georgie Smith as Tyson - Grandson
- Rory Kinnear as P.C. Lovage
- Killian Scott as Kenny
- Sean Harris as Gordon Bennett
- Kingsley Ben-Adir as Sampson
- Kacie Anderson as Mini Cutler - Granddaughter
- Gerard Kearns as Lester
- Tony Way as Norman
- Barry Keoghan as Windows
- Ezra Khan as Jamail
- Alan Williams as Noah
- Anastasia Hille as Mrs. Crawley
- Peter Wight as Dog owner
- Mark Lewis Jones as P.C. Pollock
On 31 October 2013, it was announced that Michael Fassbender would be starring in the gangster film, titled Trespass Against Us, which Adam Smith would direct, based on the script by Alastair Siddons. Siddons would produce along with Gail Egan and Andrea Calderwood through Potboiler Productions. Film4 Productions would co-finance the film, whose score would be done by The Chemical Brothers. On 16 May 2014, more cast was announced including Brendan Gleeson, Sean Harris, Lyndsey Marshal, Rory Kinnear and Killian Scott.
Filming began in June 2014 in the United Kingdom.
On 16 May 2014, Lionsgate acquired the UK rights to the film. A24 Films acquired US rights to the film on 16 December 2014. The film was released in the United States on 24 November 2016, before opening in a limited release and through video on demand on 20 January 2017. The film was released in the United Kingdom on 3 March 2017.
Trespass Against Us received mixed reviews from critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 56%, based on 64 reviews, with an average score of 5.6/10. The site's consensus reads, "Trespass Against Us benefits from Michael Fassbender and Brendan Gleeson's typically strong performances, even when they aren't quite enough to balance the story's narrative drift and awkward tonal shifts." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 51 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Trespass Against Us (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Trespass Against Us". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Trespass Against Us (2017) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo". www.boxofficemojo.com. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "Toronto To Open With 'The Magnificent Seven'; 'La La Land', 'Deepwater Horizon' Among Galas & Presentations". Deadline. 26 July 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- Kemp, Stuart (31 October 2013). "AFM: Michael Fassbender in Talks to Star in 'Trespass Against Us'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Barraclough, Leo (16 May 2014). "Cannes: Lionsgate Acquires U.K. Rights to Michael Fassbender Film 'Trespass Against Us'". variety.com. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "Ezra Khan films Trespass Against Us". sainou.com. 19 June 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Jaafar, Ali (16 December 2014). "'Trespass Against Us' Finds Home With A24". deadline.com. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- Evry, Max (22 September 2016). "Trespass Against Us Trailer and Poster Featuring Michael Fassbender". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Schobert, Christopher (10 September 2016). "Trespass Against Us TIFF 2016 Review". The Film Stage. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Trespass Against Us". Launching Films. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Trespass Against Us". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Trespass Against Us". Metacritic. Retrieved 29 November 2016.