This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Lotte Kestner |
Formed in Orange County, California in 1997, Trespassers William released four albums and two EPs. Anchor (1999) appeared on Sonikwire Records and is now out of print. Different Stars was self-released in 2002 and was re-released twice—most recently on Nettwerk Records on October 19, 2004. In early 2004, the band moved to Seattle. Their third album, Having, (mixed by The Flaming Lips producer Dave Fridmann) was released on February 28, 2006. The band toured the United States and Europe several times, including a U.K. tour with Damien Rice and a festival appearance in Spain with Morrissey. The band's music attracted modest press coverage and exposure, most notably in British magazines such as NME and Uncut and was featured on such television shows as One Tree Hill, The O.C., Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Felicity, and movies such as A Love Song for Bobby Long and Annapolis.
The band disbanded at the beginning of 2012. A b-sides and rarities collection titled Cast, which also contains an expanded edition of their 2009 EP The Natural Order of Things, was released by Saint Marie Records on September 4, 2012. Anna-Lynne Williams continues to write and record as Lotte Kestner and one half of the duo Ormonde. Matt Brown is working on more Disinterested material and is playing with and producing several other groups.
Band name origin
Trespassers William's name is from a Winnie-the-Pooh tale, "Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle" by A.A. Milne:
Next to [Piglet's] house was a piece of broken board which had: "TRESPASSERS WILL" on it. When Christopher Robin asked Piglet what it meant, he said it was his grandfather's name, which was short for Trespassers William. And his grandfather had had two names in case he lost one — Trespassers after an uncle, and William after Trespassers.
- Anchor (November 30, 1999)
- Different Stars (September 28, 2002)
- Having (February 28, 2006)
- Cast (September 4, 2012)
Singles and EPs
- "Vapour Trail" [Single] (2003)
- "Lie in the Sound" [Single] (2004)
- Live Session [EP] (2005)
- Noble House [EP] (2007)
- The Natural Order of Things [EP] (March 12, 2009)
- A Love Song for Bobby Long (Original Soundtrack) (2004)
- 5. "Different Stars"
- 14. "Lie In The Sound"
- Sweet Nothings: Love is a Mixtape (2006)
- 1. "And We Lean In"
- Matt Brown – guitar and keyboards
- Anna-Lynne Williams – vocals and guitar
- Josh Gordon – bass guitar, drums, percussion, guitar
- Ross Simonini – bass guitar and keyboards
- Nathan Skolrud – drums, bass guitar, and keyboards
- Jamie Williams – drums
Notes and references
- Richards, John (February 28, 2006). "Interview with Trespassers William". KEXP, Seattle, Washington. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007.
- "Trespassers William / Cast / Sept 4". Saint Marie Records. Archived from the original on 2012-08-10. Retrieved 2012-08-25.
- Winnie the Pooh, Chapter 3...in which Pooh and Piglet Go Hunting and Nearly Catch a Woozle. Retrieved April 13, 2011.
- trespassers-w.net, with the complete relevant quote.
- Trespassers William official website
- Trespassers William at Nettwerk Records
- Trespassers William on Facebook
- Comprehensive French fan site
- Anna-Lynne Williams of Trespassers William interviewed at OceanViewPress.com
- Trespassers William Live in London