||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2015)|
Trevis Smith (born September 8, 1976) was a football linebacker who played seven years with the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the Canadian Football League. Born in Montgomery, Alabama, Smith was formerly a linebacker for the University of Alabama.
On October 28, 2005 he was charged with aggravated sexual assault in Surrey, BC for knowingly exposing women to the HIV virus by having unprotected sex with them and not revealing his condition. Constable Marc Searle of the RCMP named a complainant called simply "A. O." who claimed that Smith had assaulted her between November 26, 2003, and May 18, 2005. After appearing in court in Surrey, he was freed on a C$10,000 bail after pleading "not guilty". On November 18, Smith was charged with the same offence in Regina, Saskatchewan after another woman came forward alleging that Smith did not tell her that he was HIV positive before they had unprotected sex.
Smith was found guilty of two counts of aggravated sexual assault—one for each woman—and bail violations on February 8, 2007 and sentenced to 5½ years in jail on February 26, 2007; he unsuccessfully appealed the conviction.
He was released from prison on February 25, 2009 and was deported to the United States. On August 18, 2012, it was reported that Smith was dismissed from his position as a high school football coach in Birmingham, Alabama, after the George Washington Carver High School learned of his conviction for aggravated sexual assault.
- "Sports". Canada.com. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Leader, Regina (2007-02-26). "Smith sentenced to six years". Canada.com. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
-  Archived April 14, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Former Roughrider Trevis Smith fired from high school coaching job: Report". Globe and Mail. Canadian Press. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2012.
- Westhead, Rick (2005-11-15). "H.I.V. Debate Emerges in Canada". New York Times. Retrieved 2006-10-06.
- Warick, Jason (2005-12-03). "The secret life of Trevis Smith: Women speak out about Roughrider accused in HIV case". CanWest News Service. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Ex-CFL player Trevis Smith gets 5½ years in jail for exposing 2 women to HIV
- Delay in Smith Sentencing
- Smith appeals sexual assault conviction
- Ex-girlfriend accused of helping Trevis Smith break bail
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian football linebacker is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|