Trevor Hall (singer)
|Origin||Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States|
|Labels||Vanguard Records, Geffen Records (former), White Balloon|
'Trevor' Hall (born November 28, 1986) is an American singer/songwriter and guitarist. His music is a mix of roots, folk, and reggae. Many of the artist's themes revolve around spirituality and life exploration.
As an eleven year old, playing harmonica beside his father in South Carolina, music quickly became Trevor’s most intimate companion, guide and creative outlet. In his elementary years, he began to write his own songs and perform them locally. At sixteen he recorded his first record, and the following year he left South Carolina to study classical guitar at Idyllwild Arts Academy, an international boarding school east of Los Angeles. There, Trevor was introduced to yoga and certain spiritual practices found in India, which greatly influenced his music and his life journey. During his senior year, Trevor signed a record deal with Geffen Records and his career as a musician formally began.
Trevor quickly broke through the music scene, with such early accomplishments in his career as having a song recorded on the Shrek the Third soundtrack, as well as joining a series of sold-out tours with artists such as Steel Pulse, The Wailers, Jimmy Cliff, Matisyahu, Michael Franti, SOJA, Brett Dennen and Colbie Callait. Trevor’s quick rise on the scene, however, was ripe with challenges that conflicted with his spiritual life and devotional practice. In order to parallel his life’s path with the messages in his music, Trevor moved into a traditional Hindu ashram in Southern California in 2008. When not on tour, he lived as a monk and devoted his days to spiritual practice and service. His involvement with the temple affected his music and his music quickly became his practice.
Trevor Hall’s music – an eclectic mix of acoustic rock, reggae and Sanskrit chanting – echo with the names and teachings of divinities, while maintaining an incredibly and refreshingly universal message. While on the road, Trevor sees the stage as his moving temple, a place where he can share in the experience of his spiritual journey with his audience. Trevor’s annual trips to India also continue to serve as a source of creativity and motivation for his music. The precious lessons and experiences that he has harvested from his journeys East have moved Trevor to return a service to those whom have colored his music and his life so beautifully. Trevor uses donations collected at his live shows to help support an ashram in Allahabad, India, the home of his Guru, where underprivileged and orphaned boys and girls are given the chance at a better life and a traditional Vedic education.
In 2013 at the age of 26, after touring consistently for ten years, Trevor decided to take a break from the stage and go on an extended pilgrimage to India. There he spent many weeks studying under a classical Baul musician born and trained in the villages of Bengal. Trevor returned from his trip and retreated deep into the green mountains of Vermont and Maine where he spilled all that he had learnt onto the page and into song.
Hall has released a successful series of musical albums. In 2009, Hall released his Vanguard Records debut, a self-titled album, which featured the single “Unity,” written and performed with his longtime friend, Matisyahu. His follow up album, Everything, Everytime, Everywhere, debuted on the iTunes Rock Chart at #3, iTunes Top Albums at #12 and #8 on Amazon Movers & Shakers. The featured single, “Brand New Day” was used as the music bed for the CBS This Morning Show. Hall’s 2014 release, Chapter of the Forest, debuted at #3 on the iTunes Singer/songwriter Chart and #17 on the iTunes Top Albums Chart.
His latest album, KALA, written in Hawaii and recorded in LA, was released August 21st, 2015. It debuted at #2 on the iTunes singer/songwriter chart.
- 2005: Trevor Hall Live (Geffen Records)
- 2008: Alive & On the Road (With Chris Steele) (White Balloon)
- 2010: Chasing The Flame - On the Road With Trevor Hall (Vanguard Records)
- 2004: Lace Up Your Shoes (White Balloon)
- 2008: The Elephant's Door (Never released) (Geffen Records)
- 2008: This is Blue (White Ballon)
- 2009: Trevor Hall (Vanguard Records)
- 2011: Everything Everytime Everywhere (Vanguard Records)
- 2014: Chapter of the Forest (Vanguard Records)
- 2015: KALA (Vanguard Records)
- 2007: Shrek the Third: The Motion Picture Soundtrack - "Other Ways"
- 2007: Endless Highway: The Music of The Band - "Life Is a Carnival"
- 2009: StreetEDGE Program: July Titles '09 - "The Lime Tree", "31 Flavors", and "Unity (featuring Matisyahu")
- 2009: Paste Magazine Sampler Issue 54 - "Unity"
- 2010: Vanguard Records Summer Sampler - "The Lime Tree"
- 2011: Putumayo World Music: Acoustic Café - "World Keeps Turnin'"
- With "The Villagers Crew"
- 2010: All Things Material & Spiritual (Self-released)
- "Brand New Day"