Trevor West at the Westfest Meeting in Trinity College Dublin in 2005
|Born||8 May 1938|
|Died||30 October 2012(aged 74)|
Educated at Midleton College, County Cork, and The High School, Dublin, he was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin and Cambridge University. He was a multiple Phd in mathematics and an associate professor of Mathematics at Trinity College. He was also the Junior Dean and a great supporter of sport at Trinity.
He was elected to Seanad Éireann on 19 November 1970 at a by-election for the University of Dublin constituency caused by the death of Owen Sheehy-Skeffington. After his election, he established a reputation as one of the few liberal voices in the Seanad. He was re-elected to the Seanad in 1973 and 1977. He lost his seat at the 1981 Seanad election but was re-elected at the 1982 election. He lost his seat again at the 1983 Seanad election.
He was the author of The Bold Collegians, a history of sport in Trinity College, and was an avid follower of Trinity College's sports programs. A book of essays, Trevor West : The Bold Collegian, recalling his life was launched in October 2016.
With John T. Lewis and D. McQuillan he drew up the constitution for the Irish Mathematical Society. An event was held in his memory at the Royal Irish Academy in December 2013 where a memorial issue of the Mathematical Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy was presented.
- 1974. Locally compact semi-algebras : with applications to spectral theory of positive operators. With Rien Kaashoek. Amsterdam ; London : North-Holland Publishing Co.
- "Vigorous scholar, sportsman and senator". The Irish Times. 3 November 2012.
- "Dr. Timothy Trevor West". Oireachtas Members Database. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "In Memoriam – Timothy Trevor West" (PDF). Dublin University Central Athletic Club. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- "Funeral tomorrow of former TCD academic and senator". The Irish Times. 2 November 2012.
- "The Bold Collegians". The Lilliput Press. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "Trevor West : The Bold Collegian". Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- The MacTutor History of Mathematics archive page on The Irish Mathematical Society
- Trevor West: An Irish Mathematician