||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Trevor D. Wooley|
Trevor D. Wooley
17 September 1964 |
|Institutions||University of Bristol|
|Alma mater||Imperial College London
University of Cambridge
|Doctoral advisor||Robert Charles Vaughan|
|Doctoral students||Morley Davidson
Siu Lun Alan Lee
|Known for||Analytic number theory
Hardy–Littlewood circle method
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society
Berwick Prize (1993)
Trevor Dion Wooley FRS (born 17 September 1964) FRS is a British mathematician and currently Professor of Mathematics at the University of Bristol. His fields of interest include analytic number theory, Diophantine equations and Diophantine problems, harmonic analysis, the Hardy-Littlewood circle method, and the theory and applications of exponential sums. He has made significant breakthroughs on Waring's problem, for which he was awarded the Salem Prize in 1998.
He received his bachelor's degree in 1987 from the University of Cambridge and his Ph.D., supervised by Robert Charles Vaughan, in 1990 from the University of London. In 2007 he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society.
Awards and honours
- Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellow, 1993–1995
- Salem Prize, 1998
- Invited speaker, International Congress of Mathematicians, Beijing 2002
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Society, 2007.
- Fröhlich Prize, 2012.
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012.
- Invited speaker, International Congress of Mathematicians, Seoul 2014
- Trevor D. Wooley, Large improvements in Waring's problem. Ann. of Math. (2) 135 (1992), no. 1, 131—164.
- Trevor D. Wooley, Quasi-diagonal behaviour in certain mean value theorems of additive number theory. J. Amer. Math. Soc. 7 (1994), no. 1, 221—245.
- Trevor D. Wooley, Breaking classical convexity in Waring's problem: sums of cubes and quasi-diagonal behaviour. Invent. Math. 122 (1995), no. 3, 421—451.
- Trevor D. Wooley, Vinogradov's mean value theorem via efficient congruencing. Ann. of Math. (2) 175 (2012), no. 3, 1575–1627.
- Trevor Wooley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-09-01.
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|