This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Spruance performing in 2008
|Birth name||Preston Lea Spruance III|
|Born||August 14, 1969|
|Genres||Avant-garde metal, experimental music, alternative metal, experimental rock, ska|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboards, synthesizer, baglama, rabab, dumbek, zither, bass guitar, pipa, trumpet, vocals|
|Associated acts||Mr. Bungle, Secret Chiefs 3, Faxed Head, Faith No More, Three Doctors Band, John Zorn, Pop-O-Pies, Scourge, Asva|
Preston Lea "Trey" Spruance III (born August 14, 1969) is an American composer, producer, and musician who co-founded the experimental rock band Mr. Bungle. He is also leader of the multi-genre outfit Secret Chiefs 3. Originally a guitarist and trumpeter, Spruance later began playing vintage electronic organs, saz, santur, electric sitar, tar, pipa, and various other string and percussion instruments.[not verified in body]
Spruance's playing and composition style is influenced by many diverse genres of music, such as surf rock, Anatolian folk, death metal, film music, Afghan rebab music, ska, funk, space rock, jazz and Japanoise. Musique concrète and foley work also play a large role in his recordings.[not verified in body]
Spruance was a founding member of Mr. Bungle, along with Mike Patton and Trevor Dunn. He has focused on his band Secret Chiefs 3 for the last 15 years (though it began in 1996), and its seven "satellite" groups first introduced on the 2004 album Book of Horizons. Though once secular, Spruance began exploring religious and philosophical themes in Mr. Bungle and Secret Chiefs 3 in the mid-1990s, after joining the Eastern Orthodox Church. Since 2007 Spruance has performed with Secret Chiefs 3 in over 50 countries.
In 2013 he arranged his music for the 61-piece Traditional Russian Orchestra of Krasnoyarsk and performed with them in Kansk, Siberia, alongside other members of Secret Chiefs 3. He has performed regularly with John Zorn and has arranged two releases of works from Zorn's Masada Songbooks for Secret Chiefs 3: "Xaphan" in 2007, and "Beriah". He contributed guitar and tubular bells to two albums by the drone metal band Asva, with whom he toured the US and Europe. He also recorded with Patton and Faith No More on their 1995 album King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime.
Spruance has also composed scores for two animated films by his friend Tawd B. Dorenfeld, The Anna Cabrini Chronicles and Aylaqruh:hurqalyA.
As a producer
Besides his own bands, Spruance has also worked as a producer for others. In 2001, he produced Chicago rock band Tub ring's first full-length album, Drake Equation. In 2004, he produced the Death After Life for Oakland, CA death metal group Impaled and contributed guitar solos for the songs Resurrectionists, and Medical Waste. Other production duties have included I'll Have What's She's Having (2004) by The Tuna Helpers and Faxed Head's Chiropractic (2001).
Spruance is the founder of Mimicry Recordings, which has released albums from a variety of different bands, including Cleric, Fat32, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Brazzaville, Matt Chamberlain, Dengue Fever, and ASVA, amongst others.
- The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny (1986)
- Bowel of Chiley (1987)
- Goddammit I Love America! (1988)
- OU818 (1989)
- Mr. Bungle (1991)
- Disco Volante (1995)
- California (1999)
- First Grand Constitution and Bylaws (1996)
- Second Grand Constitution and Bylaws: Hurqalya (1998)
- Eyes of Flesh, Eyes of Flame (1999)
- Book M (2001)
- Book of Horizons (2004)
- Path of Most Resistance (retrospective and rarities album) (2007)
- Xaphan: Book of Angels Volume 9 (2008)
- Traditionalists: Le Mani Destre Recise Degli Ultimi Uomini (2009)
- Satellite Supersonic Vol. 1 (2010)
- Book of Souls (2013)
- "Perichoresis" (2014)
- Weird Little Boy (1998)
With Eyvind Kang
- Theater of Mineral NADEs (Tzadik, 1998)
- Uncomfortable But Free (1995)
- Exhumed at Birth (1997)
- Chiropractic (2001)
- Secret Chiefs 3
- Mr. Bungle
- Faxed Head (as "Neck Head")
- Noddingturd Fan (also NT Fan)
- The Three Doctors Band
- Weird Little Boy (a one-off studio project)
- The Bon Larvis Band
- Faith No More
- "Interview with Trey Spruance of Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Secret Chiefs 3 - Culture Creature". August 30, 2016. Retrieved January 3, 2017.
- Sohrabeyal. "Interview: The Secret Chiefs 3′ Trey Spruance dreams of performing in Iran?". DooBeeDooBeeDoo NY. Retrieved June 10, 2017.
- "Containing multitudes". Retrieved June 10, 2017.