Tribal Research Institute Museum
Entrance gate of the Museum
|Location||Unit - VIII, CRPF Square, Nayapalli, NH-5, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Director||A. B. Ota|
|Owner||Government of Odisha|
|Website||Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes Research & Training Institute|
Tribal Research Institute Museum, Museum of Tribal Arts and Artifacts, is a museum in Bhubaneswar, Odisha inside the campus of Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes Research & Training Institute. It is popularly known as Tribal Museumand conceptually labeled as Museum of Man. It has life-sized authentic tribal dwellings, created by the tribal craftsmen offers a view of the State's tribal heritage. It has sections which showcase tribal artifacts and objects, focusing on well researched, documented cultural life of tribals of Odisha. It is headed by a Director, who is in the rank of a University Professor, and the administrative control lies in the hands of ST, SC, Minorities, and Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of Odisha.
This Museum is an integrated part of the Scheduled Castles and Scheduled Tribes Research and Training Institute (SCSTRTI), which disseminates knowledge covering the human species in totality.
Conceptually labeled as "Museum of Man", it was established in the year 1953. In 1986, 5 tribal huts, representing Santal, Juang, Gadaba, Saora and Kandha communities, were constructed and the tribal artifacts were displayed here for visitors. On 5 March 2001, the new museum building was inaugurated.
There are 5 halls in the museum and the displays are categorised the following way -
- Hall I - Personal Adornments
- Hall II - Personal Belongings, Arts, Paintings & Photographs
- Hall III - Hunting & Fishing Implements & Weapons of Offence and Defense
- Hall IV - Household Objects and Agricultural Implements
- Hall V - Dance, Musical Instruments and Dhokra Items
- "Museum of Tribal Arts & Artifacts". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Tribal Museum / Museum of Man". WebIndia123. Retrieved 24 February 2015. External link in
- "Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes Research & Training Institute, Bhubaneswar". ST, SC, Minorities, and Backward Classes Welfare Department, Government of Odisha. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "Scheduled Castles and Scheduled Tribes Research and Training Institute". India. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Odisha ST&SC Development Minister inaugurated National Tribal Art & Craft Mela-2014". orissadiary.com. 20 November 2014. Retrieved 24 February 2015. External link in
- "Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes". Scheduled Castes & Scheduled Tribes Research & Training Institute, SC & ST Development Department, Government of Odisha. Retrieved 27 January 2016.