Tribeca Film Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Tribeca Film Institute (TFI) is a year-round non-profit arts organization founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff in the wake of September 11, 2001. TFI's mission is to empower filmmakers through grants and professional development, and train the media-makers of the future by bringing film into the classroom, developing young audiences for independent film, and promoting career development.
TFI is the City of New York Department of Education’s partner for the filmmaking component of the DOE’s Summer Arts Institute. TFI served as the primary cultural partner to develop the DOE’s Blueprint for the Teaching and Learning of the Moving Image. Released in October 2009, the Blueprint is a curriculum guide for the study of film, television, and animation from grades K – 12 and sets benchmarks for a city-wide standard for teaching media arts.
TFI's youth programs include Tribeca Teaches: Films in Motion, an in-school and after-school filmmaking residency; the Tribeca Youth Screening Series, a year-round program that provides students and teachers with access to relevant films and helps integrate film into the classroom curricula; Tribeca Film Fellows, a pre-professional development program that brings twenty NYC high-school students behind-the-scenes of the Tribeca Film Festival; the Summer Arts Institute; and Our City, My Story, an annual showcase of youth-made films.
Artist and filmmaker support
TFI has six artist support programs, which all have an open call for submissions:
TFI administers the Robert De Niro Sr. Prize , an annual award of $25,000 for mid-career visual artists who are nominated and selected by a special committee.
Board of directors
The Tribeca Film Institute Board of Directors is composed of Robert De Niro, Co-Chair, Jane Rosenthal, Co-Chair, Alberta Arthurs, Vice Chair, Serena Altschul, Martin Edelman, Eli Evans, Craig Hatkoff, Lisa Hsia, Jennifer Maguire Isham, Sheila Nevins, Norman Pearlstine, Sam Pollard, Laurie Racine, Scott Rechler, John G. Roche, Martin Scorsese, Judy Tabb, Jonathan Tisch, Todd Wagner, and Jeffrey Wright.
- Summer Arts Institute Filmmaking Workshop 2010, NYC Department of Education
- "Moving Image Blueprint". NYC Department of Education. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- Live From Tribeca 2010: All Access Archived November 1, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "TFI Documentary Fund | Tribeca Film Institute". Tribecafilminstitute.org. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "tribeca documentary fund". Gucci. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "Tribeca Film Institute Sloan Filmmaker Fund Call for Entries". SAGIndie. 2010-10-08. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "ttvmedianews - Tribeca Film Institute and Moviecity Work Together on Morelia Film Festival - Eventos - Festivales - 18_tribeca_moviecity_festival_morelia". Todotvnews.com. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "Tribeca Film Institute". Tribeca Film Institute. 2001-09-11. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "About Us | Tribeca Film Institute". Tribecafilminstitute.org. 2001-09-11. Retrieved 2013-07-15.