Triglav Lodge at Kredarica
|This article does not cite any sources. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Triglav Lodge at Kredarica|
|Triglavski dom na Kredarici|
Triglav Lodge in 2013
|Elevation||2,515 m (8,251 ft)|
|Parent range||Julian Alps|
The Triglav Lodge at Kredarica (Slovene: Triglavski dom na Kredarici) (2,515 metres a.s.l.) is the highest mountain hut in Slovenia and the highest meteorological station in the country. It stands on a small plateau just under the peak of Kredarica, an elevation in the ridge between Mt. Rjavina and Mt. Triglav. In the vicinity stands also a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Snows and a few metres away, there is a small cave named Ivačič Cave.
The first hut, named 'Triglav Hut' (Triglavska koča), was built in 1896 upon an idea by Jakob Aljaž. Later it was expanded three times and it is now one of the largest mountain huts in Slovenia. It can accept 200 hikers or more. In 1909, the Ljubljana Matica Alpine Club enlarged the hut and renamed it 'Triglav Lodge' (Triglavski dom). In 1954 it was enlarged again due to the increased number of visits after World War II. For the last time it was enlarged in 1983.
The lodge is open to visitors all year round. Most visitors come from the end of June to the end of September. Outside the main season the residential meteorologists handle the visitors. The hut is managed by Ljubljana Matica Alpine Club. There is no cable car, and the hut is supplied by helicopters of the Slovenian Armed Forces.
The Ljubljana Matica Alpine Club's goal is to reduce the environmental impact of the hut. In 1992 they built photovoltaic power station and in 1998 a small wind generator. In 1992 they set up a base station and fixed the telephone line.
- from Aljaž Lodge in the Vrata Valley via the Tominšek Route (Tominškova pot) 4 h (a very challenging route)
- from Aljaž Lodge in the Vrata Valley via the Over the Rock Step (Čez Prag) Route 3 h 30 min (challenging)
- from the Kot Valley 5 h
- from the Krma Valley 3 h 30 min (easy)
- from the Rudno Polje Alp (Rudno polje) passing Vodnik Lodge at Big Field Pasture (Vodnikov dom na Velem polju), over Horse Pass (Konjsko sedlo) and Calvary Pass (Kalvarija) 5 h (challenging)
- Triglav (2864 m; a challenging secured route) 1 h