Trillium pusillum is a species of flowering plant in the family Melanthiaceae known by the common names dwarf wakerobin, little trillium and dwarf trillium. It is native to the southeastern and south-central United States from Oklahoma to Maryland.
This is a perennial herb with a thin, branching, horizontal rhizome. It produces one or two slender scapes up to 20 centimetres (7.9 in) tall. They increase in size after flowering. The three bracts are dark green, sometimes with a red tinge when new. The flower has three green to red-tinged sepals up to 3 centimetres (1.2 in) long and 3 wavy-edged petals which are white and quickly age pink. The 6 stamens are tipped with lavender or yellow anthers each up to a centimeter long. The stigmas have long, narrow, spreading lobes. The pulpy fruit is 1 to 1.5 centimeters long.
Trillium pusillum can be found in several habitat types, including savannas, swamps, bogs, forests and woods, and fields. It grows on acidic soils. It is commonly pollinated by the western honey bee (Apis mellifera), and the seeds are dispersed by ants and harvestmen.
Trillium pusillum has been divided into several varieties. Some authors accept only two, var. pusillum and var. virginianum. The var. texanum is now treated as a separate species, Trillium texanum.
- Trillium pusillum. NatureServe. 2013.
- "Trillium pusillum". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 15 December 2015.
- Trillium pusillum. Flora of North America.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Biota of North America 2013 county distribution map
- Andre, C. S., et al. (2005). Ecology of three populations of the rare woodland perennial, Trillium pusillum Michaux (Liliaceae) in southwestern Missouri. Missouriensis 26 7-21. (PDF)
- Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON) occurrence data and maps for Trillium pusillum ozarkanum
- Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON) occurrence data and maps for Trillium pusillum pusillum
- Biodiversity Information Serving Our Nation (BISON) occurrence data and maps for Trillium pusillum virginianum
- "Trillium pusillum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- "Trillium pusillum ozarkanum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- "Trillium pusillum pusillum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
- "Trillium pusillum virginianum". Integrated Taxonomic Information System.
|This Liliales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|