Three spot cichlid
|Three spot cichlid|
The three spot cichlid (Cichlasoma trimaculatum), also known as the trimac or red-eyed cichlid, is a species of cichlid, from the subfamily Cichlasomatinae which are found in South America. It is a rarely found as an aquarium fish.
The three spot cichlid is a large heavy bodied cichlid. It has a green or yellow hue base with the distinct spots on its sides. The male is much larger than the female growing up to 15" he has longer more pointed fins and a large red spot behind his gills. The female is smaller growing up to 9-10" and a less dominant red spot. The male may also grow a nuchal hump when mature.
Distribution and habitat
The threespot cichlid is found in slow flowing stretches in the lower river valleys of the rivers of the Pacific Slope of Central America from Mexico to Panama,where there is a muddy or sandy substrate. Here it is found among the roots and weeds. It has been found as an introduced species in Florida and Nevada but these populations were extirpated, and in Singapore.
The Three spot cichlid feeds mainly on small fishes and invertebrates, including both aquatic and terrestrial insects.  A large female may lay over 1,000 eggs and reach sexual maturity at a length of 8–10 centimetres (3.1–3.9 in), while for males this is attained at 12–14 centimetres (4.7–5.5 in). The pair usually select a flat stone and spawn on that, both parents guard the eggs fiercely and will also tend the fry after they have hatched.
In the aquarium
- Eschmeyer, W. N.; R. Fricke & R. van der Laan (eds.). "Heros trimaculatus". Catalog of Fishes. California Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Trimac Cichlid". aquariacentral. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2018). "Cichlosoma trimaculatum" in FishBase. April 2018 version.
- "Cichlasoma trimaculatum (Günther, 1867)". Nonindigenous Aquatic Species. USGS. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Cichlasoma trimaculatum Three Spot Cichlid, Trimac". Seriously Fish. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- "Trimac Cichlid AKA Three-Spot Cichlid", www.aquariacentral.com, accessed July 24, 2008
- Cichlasoma trimaculatum - FishBase
|This Cichlidae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|