Trinity Academy, Thorne
|Trinity Academy, Thorne|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Christian (accepts mixed ethics)|
|Department for Education URN||135007 Tables|
|Head teacher||Jonathan Winch|
|Age||11 to 18|
The school opened in September 2005 and replaced Thorne Grammar School, established in 1930, which became a comprehensive school in 1973. The majority of the Grammar School's building was demolished, but its war memorial plaque and window were moved to the new Academy building and re-dedicated. The main, Georgian style frontage of the school was subsequently converted into apartments in 2009, with new mews style houses built on the former grass tennis courts along the frontage facing Church Balk.
The school has received rewards from the Specialist schools and Academies trust for being the 'Most Improved Academy in England & Wales' in 2008 and 'Most Improved Academy in Yorkshire & Humberside' in the years 2008, 2009 and 2010. The school was deemed 'Outstanding' by Ofsted in March 2011. However, in December 2013, the school faced a huge disappointment when Ofsted placed the school in 'special measures.' As of 2015, the school is no longer in 'special measures.'
Thorne Grammar School
- Peter Davies (politician), Mayor of Doncaster from 2009 to '13, and father of Conservative rebel MP Philip Davies
- Lesley Garrett, opera singer and Principal Soprano from 1984 to '98 with the English National Opera
- Leslie Hodson, physicist from Fishlake who discovered the kaon (K+ meson) sub-atomic particle in 1954 and did important work with cloud chambers
- Jill Morrell, author, campaigner, motivational speaker, and Head of Public Affairs with the British Lung Foundation
- George Porter, Baron Porter of Luddenham, awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1967, knighted in 1972, President from 1985 to '90 of the Royal Society, and Chancellor from 1986 to '95 of the University of Leicester
- E. A. Smith (historian)
Trinity Academy theatrical productions are performed by a various year groups including the Sixth Form.
Other Emmanuel Schools
- Bede Academy, Blyth, Northumberland
- Emmanuel City Technology College, Gateshead
- The King's Academy, Middlesbrough
- Charity Commission. Emmanuel Schools Foundation, registered charity no. 1093739.
- Leslie Hodson
- John McCarthy and Jill Morrell "Some Other Rainbow" Bantam Press 1993 524pp Jill Morrell, attended TGS 1971–76 (approx)
- Archer, Mary. ‘Porter, George, Baron Porter of Luddenham (1920–2002)’, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, online edn, Oxford University Press, January 2006; online edn, May 2007 accessed 26 June 2009
- Trinity Academy website
- Emmanuel Schools Foundation website
- Thorne Grammar School Alumni website
- Thorne Grammar School Reunion website (4,400 members)
- Trinity Academy Ofsted reports