Trinity Rescue Kit
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||3.4 build 372 / 29 April 2011|
|Latest preview||3.4 build 396 / 21 March 2014|
|License||GNU GPL license|
TRK was designed for deployment as a live CD or live USB. The author of TRK, Tom Kerremans, includes in the distribution various third-party software utilities for repairing damaged files, recovering data, resetting passwords, detecting computer viruses, and disk cloning. TRK is especially equipped for repairing common problems in Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems.
To reduce disk space required, TRK uses a bespoke help command,
trkhelp, instead of the man pages typical of Linux distributions.
Starting in 2001, after creating a bootable DOS-based CD of proprietary software for offline operations (named "The Vault"), Belgian developer, Tom Kerremans decided to create a free bootable Linux CD.
The purpose would be to include free tools that could help rescue a Windows installation that was being problematic. Binaries and scripts from other distributions inspired the Trinity Rescue Kit. Sources included Mandriva 2005 and the Fedora Cores 3 and 4. The startup procedure and methods, and many scripts, are custom-made for Trinity Rescue Kit.
TRK 3.3 was based on Linux 2.6.26.
- 6 consoles (accessed using alt+F1, etc.)
- The ability to update itself (antivirus definitions/drivers) if burned onto a CD-RW
- Data Recovery Tools
- Clone Windows over a network
- Antivirus Scanner
- Reset Windows passwords
- Read/Write to NTFS partitions through ntfs-3g
- clonentfs allows copying of all used space on a drive
- Better support for Vista in build 321
- Edit partition layout
- SSH Server
- Samba server
- Share all local drives on network as a user or a guest
- Logical Volume Management
- Proxy server support
- Bridging Capabilities
- Allows tcpdump when traffic passes other computers
- Trinityhome.org:Is TRK still alive?, April 10, 2014
- trinityhome.org: Licensing. Updated July 20, 2010. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- Alison Diana Trinity Upgrades Linux Rescue Kit InformationWeek, 17 August 2010 11:09 AM
- jack.schofield: The Guardian Technology: Ask Jack...Endless reboot, 28 June 2007
- Podnutz Episode 52: Trinity Rescue Kit
- Bart Verstricht. "What is Trinity Rescue Kit?". Trinityhome.org. Retrieved 2014-01-06.