Tristan John Gemmill
6 June 1967
|Known for||Coronation Street (2000, 2015–2019)|
Tristan John Gemmill (born 6 June 1967 in Kensington, London) is an English actor, most notable for his roles as Dr Adam Trueman on Casualty, and Robert Preston in Coronation Street. He was educated at Holmewood House School, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, up to the age of 13. He then won an Academic Scholarship to Tonbridge School.
He is best known for his TV work - appearing in former Channel 5 soap opera Family Affairs, Where the Heart Is, BBC Three's Grass and recently for Kay Mellor's drama series Strictly Confidential. He also played DC Mitch Cowen in EastEnders in 2005. Another minor role was as an actor in a crime reconstruction in Lynda La Plante's Trial & Retribution.
In January 2000 Gemmill appeared in Coronation Street as a therapist for Leanne Tilsey and in 2001, he appeared in six episodes of The Bill as corrupt Detective Sergeant Peter Cork, in a storyline following a serial rapist. These episodes saw his character sexually assault DC Kate Spears, romance PC Cass Rickman, and be exposed as colluding with another corrupt officer in sheltering the rapist (played by Michael McKell), only to be killed after being stabbed by the same rapist. He also starred in the final series of London's Burning as fire-fighter Frank Mooney in 2002.
In 2005, on ITV, Gemmill starred in Distant Shores, as Duncan, alongside Samantha Bond and Peter Davison, and also appeared as Major Despard in "Cards on the Table," part of the 10th season of Agatha Christie's Poirot. In 2007, Gemmill appeared as Dr David York in the Channel 4 drama Cape Wrath. Gemmill played consultant Adam Trueman in the long-running BBC medical drama Casualty from September 2007 to August 2011. In a "celebrity" edition of Mastermind, aired on BBC 1 on 1 January 2010, Gemmill defeated comedians John Bishop and Ed Byrne and TV presenter Anneka Rice to win the trophy. His specialist subject was the Apollo Moon Landings.
In May and June 2012, he filmed a fantasy adventure movie then titled Mariah Mundi and the Midas Box throughout the South West of England, playing the role of Isambard Black. The movie was released in 2014 as The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box and garnered mostly negative reviews.
The character was killed off on Christmas Day 2019.
Gemmill grew up in Cowden, Kent and he is married to actress Emily Hamilton; the couple have a son Wilfred (b.2008) and two daughters Mabel (born 2010) and Violet (born 2012). He announced on Twitter that his wife gave birth to their daughter in September 2010 and a second daughter in 2012. He moved to Australia for a while with his family at the age of 15, returning 10 years later, for his acting career's debut in Britain.
- Adam Dawtrey (11 April 2012). http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118052510. Variety Article. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 17 February 2014.
- "Tristan Gemmill is Beverley Knight's Bodyguard from September". What’s On Stage. 14 June 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Tristan Gemmill [@TristanGemmill] (21 September 2010). "Hey Tweethearts - No, I didn't get swallowed by the clingfilm but yes, we did have our baby last week. Hence my absence from the ether..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Tristan Gemmill [@TristanGemmill] (21 September 2010). "It is a girl child - Mum and baby doing fine. I know some of you have been asking, so didn't want you to worry. Txx" (Tweet) – via Twitter.