|Ithuriel's spear (Triteleia laxa)|
Douglas ex Lindl.
Triteleia is a genus of monocotyledon flowering plants also known as triplet lilies. Species are native to western North America, from British Columbia south to California, with one species in northwestern Mexico. However they are most common in California. They are perennial plants growing from a fibrous corm, roughly spherical in shape. They get their name from the fact that all parts of their flowers come in threes.
Taxonomy and systematics
The Angiosperm Phylogeny Group in the 2009 revision place it in family Asparagaceae, subfamily Brodiaeoideae (having previously placed treated Brodiaeoideae as a separate family Themidaceae). Other modern authors place it in the family Alliaceae. Both these families are in the order Asparagales.
About 15-20 species are currently recognised in Triteleia, with several of them having well defined subspecies or varieties that have different common names. Some common species that are now placed in genus Triteleia were formerly placed in genus Brodiaea, and as a consequence "brodiaea" has been incorporated into some of their common names.
- Triteleia bridgesii – Bridges' brodiaea – mountains of northern California and southwestern Oregon
- Triteleia clementina – San Clemente Island tripletlily – endemic to San Clemente Island
- Triteleia crocea – Yellow tripletlily – mountains of northern California and southwestern Oregon
- Triteleia dudleyi – Dudley's tripletlily – from Mono Count to Lost Angeles County
- Triteleia grandiflora – Largeflower tripletlily, Wild Hyacinth – British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, extreme northern California; isolated population in southwestern Colorado
- Triteleia guadalupensis – endemic to Guadalupe Island off the west coast of Baja California
- Triteleia hendersonii – southwestern Oregon and extreme northern California
- Triteleia hyacinthina – White tripletlily, hyacinth brodiaea, fool's onion – common in much of British Columbia, Washington, Oregon, California; also western Nevada and northern Idaho
- Triteleia ixioides – Prettyface – much of California plus southwestern Oregon
- Triteleia laxa – Ithuriel's spear, grassnut – much of California plus southwestern Oregon
- Triteleia lemmoniae – Oak Creek tripletlily – Arizona
- Triteleia lilacina – northern California
- Triteleia lugens – Coast Range tripletlily – coastal mountains of California
- Triteleia montana – northern Sierra Nevada of California
- Triteleia peduncularis – Longray tripletlily – coastal counties of northern California
- Triteleia × versicolor – Pinto tripletlily – Monterey County (hybrid T. hyacinthina × T. ixioides)
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Flora of North America, Triteleia Douglas ex Lindley, Edwards’s Bot. Reg. 15: under plate 1293. 1830.
- Biota of North America Program, 2013 county distribution maps, species of Triteleia
- Stevens, P.F., Angiosperm Phylogeny Website: Asparagales: Brodiaeoideae
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Triteleia.|
|This Asparagales article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|