Triton Regional High School (New Jersey)
|Triton Regional High School|
|250 Schubert Avenue
Runnemede, NJ 08078
|Type||Public high school|
|Vice principals||Patrick Murray (9th Grade)
Harold Little (10th Grade)
Tom Ambrose (11th Grade)
Therese Bonmati (12th Grade)
|Enrollment||1,230 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.7:1|
|Athletics conference||Tri-County Conference|
Triton Regional High School is a four-year comprehensive regional public high school serving students in ninth through twelfth grades from Bellmawr, Gloucester Township and Runnemede, three communities in Camden County, New Jersey, United States, operating as one of three secondary schools of the Black Horse Pike Regional School District. Triton serves all students from Bellmawr and Runnemede, along with those from the northern portion of Gloucester Township.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,230 students and 90.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 13.7:1. There were 280 students (22.8% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 82 (6.7% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 241st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 271st in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 278th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 221st in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 236th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Triton Regional High School first opened its doors for students in 1957 and celebrated its 50th anniversary during the 2006–07 school year.
In October 2012, five of Triton's faculty and administration were charged in having sexual affairs with students. Three teachers (Nick Martinelli, Daniel Michielli, and Jeffrey Logandro) were charged for actually having committed sexual misconduct, while two administrators (Principal Catherine DePaul and Vice Principal Jernee Kollock) were charged for covering up the incident. In wake of the teachers' firings, many different substitute teachers took the places of Logandro, Martinelli, and Michielli, Triton alumnus Daniel Mackie was appointed Interim Principal (in place of DePaul) for the remainder of the 2012–2013 school year, while Lynne Sireci was named interim 9th Grade Vice Principal (in place of Kollock) for the remainder of 2012–2013 until July 1, 2013. Starting July 1, 2013, longtime Black Horse Pike Regional School District employee and fellow Triton alumnus Melissa Sheppard was appointed Triton's new principal for the 2013–2014 school year and beyond, while current Triton Vice Principal Harold Little would take over the role as the Class of 2016's Vice Principal (the role Kollock had prior to her firing). Little would remain the Class of 2016's Vice Principal until their graduation in June 2016.
The Triton Regional High School Mustangs participate in the Tri-County Conference, which consists of public and private high schools located in Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester and Salem Counties, and competes in the West Jersey Football League, both of which operate under the auspices of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 968 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as South Jersey, Group III for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 794 to 1,076 students in that grade range.
|Boys' Cross Country||Andrew Whitman||Boys' Basketball||Andrew Canzanese||Boys' Baseball||Frank Marciano|
|Girls' Cross Country||Andrew Whitman||Girls' Basketball||Cara Fry||Golf||Jack Feighan|
|Boys' Soccer||John Loiodice||Cheerleading||Andrea Owings||Boys' Tennis||Bryan Ekstrom|
|Football||Domenic Tomeo||Indoor Track||Andrew Whitman||Boys' Track||Andrew Whitman|
|Cheerleading||Andrea Owings||Swimming||Bill Lewin||Girls' Track||Andrew Whitman|
|Field Hockey||Cherie McNellis||Wrestling||Andrew Haubois||Softball||Shayla Giosia|
|Girls' Soccer||Holly O'Donnell||-||-||-||-|
|Girls' Tennis||Greg Foster||-||-||-||-|
Triton Regional High School students also have the opportunity to participate in the Triton Ice Hockey team during the winter months, but, for insurance and liability reasons, it is neither officially associated nor funded by the school. Starting in the 2016-2017 school year, Triton added a lacrosse team for both boys and girls who attend the school.
The field hockey team won thw South Jersey Group III state sectional championship in 1983.
The school's marching band won the Chapter One Championships in 2000-2002, 2004, 2008, 2010, and 2011. They were also the 2001 Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 1. They went on to become the 2011 Atlantic Coast Champion in Group 1A. 
The school's indoor drumline was the Tournament Indoor Association Scholastic A champions in 1997 and 1999, and the Scholastic Open Concert champions in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013.
The school's indoor color guard was the Tournament Indoor Association Scholastic Open champions in 1999 and 2002. In 2009, they were the TIA Scholastic A champions. In 2010, they were Mid-Atlantic Indoor Network champions and placed 5th at the Winter Guard International South Brunswick Regional, held at South Brunswick High School.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Melissa Sheppard - Principal
- Patrick Murray - Vice Principal, Grade 9
- Harold Little - Vice Principal, Grade 10
- Tom Ambrose - Vice Principal, Grade 11
- Therese Bonmati - Vice Principal, Grade 12
Other district high schools
Including Triton, there are three high schools within the jurisdiction of the Black Horse Pike Regional School District. Students attend one of the three based upon their area of residence. The other two schools (with 2012-13 enrollment from the National Center for Education Statistics) are:
- Highland Regional High School: Located in Blackwood, Highland served 1,157 students from the Gloucester Township area.
- Timber Creek Regional High School: Located in Erial, Timber Creek, established in 2001, is the newest of the three high schools within the Black Horse Pike Regional School District. Timber Creek served 1,424 students from the Gloucester Township area.
Notable alumni of Triton Regional High School include:
- Rob Andrews (born 1957; Class of 1975), member of Congress from New Jersey's 1st congressional district.
- Chrissy Conway (born 1979; Class of 1997), Contemporary Christian Music singer/songwriter and former member of the groups Choice and ZOEgirl.
- Michael Iaconelli (born 1972; Class of 1990), bass fisherman.
- David R. Mayer (born 1967; Class of 1985), New Jersey General Assembly member who represented the 4th Legislative District from 2002 to 2008.
- Jack O'Halloran (born 1943; Class of 1961), boxer and actor who appeared in Superman and Superman II.
- A. Raymond Randolph (born 1943; Class of 1961), federal judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit who was appointed to the court in 1990.
- Lisa Regina (born c. 1961; Class of c. 1979-1980), actress, screenwriter, director, and acting coach.
- School data for Triton Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Triton Regional High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 27, 2015.
- Triton Regional High School 2015 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed June 3, 2016. "Triton Regional is a community based high school and we value the support of our parents, community members and local businesses. Our students and staff are ambassadors of Runnemede, Bellmawr, and Gloucester Township and carry that honor with Mustang pride."
- District Home: Registration Info tab, Black Horse Pike Regional School District. Accessed February 7, 2017. "What school will you be attending? All Bellmawr and Runnemede residents attend Triton Regional High School. Gloucester Township residents Click Here to view the District Map."
- Gloucester Township High School Attendance Areas, Black Horse Pike Regional School District. Accessed February 7, 2017.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 7, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed February 12, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- Triton Alumni Hall Of Fame, accessed October 18, 2006.
- Wells, Charlie. "5 busted in New Jersey student-teacher sex scandal", Daily News (New York), October 5, 2012. Accessed November 28, 2012. "Teachers Jeffrey Logandro, Daniel Michielli and Nicholas Martinelli, Principal Catherine DePaul and Vice Principal Jernee Kollock of Triton Regional High School could all face at least five years in prison if they are convicted."
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Triton Coaching Staff
- "Three Triton High teachers accused of sex with students". Philly.com. Retrieved 5 October 2012.
- History of the NJSIAA Field Hockey Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed February 7, 2017.
- Tournament of Bands - Chapter One History, Tournament of Bands. Accessed November 1, 2010.
- Administration, Triton Regional High School. Accessed September 16, 2015.
- School Data for the Black Horse Pike Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed February 21, 2015.
- Rob Andrews (D), The Washington Post U.S. Congress Votes Database. Accessed February 12, 2011. "ANDREWS, Robert Ernest, a Representative from New Jersey; born in Camden, Burlington County, N.J., August 4, 1957; graduated from Triton High School, Runnemeade [sic], N.J., 1975."
- Staff. "South Jersey musician finds her calling as a member of a Christian trio", Courier-Post, May 10, 2002. Accessed September 22, 2011. "Conway, who graduated from Triton Regional High School in 1997 and is about to make settlement on a house of her own in Nashville, said she was thrilled..."
- Callahan, Kevin. "Animated angler seeks Bassmaster title again", Courier Post, July 27, 2005. Accessed February 12, 2011. "Iaconelli, who attended Triton High School and grew up fishing Timber Creek, also should have some home cooking on his side."
- Alumni Hall of Fame, Triton Regional High School. Accessed June 1, 2015.
- Oral History Project - Arthur Raymond Randolph, Historical Society of the District of Columbia Circuit. Accessed October 1, 2015. "Judge Randolph: No, we never lived in Riverside. We lived in a town called Palmyra, New Jersey, for a while, which is where my grandmother and my great-uncle lived, and then moved in 1950 to what was then a very small rural town called Glendora.... Mr. Prettyman: And where did you go to high school? Judge Randolph: I was a member of the first graduating class of a high school called Triton Regional High School. Mr. Prettyman: And when did you graduate? Judge Randolph: The year was 1961.
- Gross, Dan. "'Big Pussy' defends suit from Jersey girl", The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 26, 2009. Accessed December 14, 2013. "Vincent Pastore, who played Big Pussy on The Sopranos today began trial in the Supreme Court of New York over an April 2005 assault of former fiancee, Gloucester Township native, Lisa Regina.... Regina, an actress/acting teacher, who graduated Triton High in Runnemede, later filed civil suit against the actor."
- Triton Regional High School website
- Black Horse Pike Regional School District
- Black Horse Pike Regional School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Black Horse Pike Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Triton HS